The best sat nav

Before reading your replies here I was convinced that the TomTom is the best to get, but thats based on the ability to be able to upgrade it & install maps for nowt.

Sponsored Links
Map book for £1.99 is the best direction finder in my car ;)

Totally agree, i used my bosses car with sat nav in to go home once, just for fun i told it to guide me back to the office the next morning - it told me to turn down a road which looked ok but i knew that half a mile down it turned to an overgrown track that you can only walk down. If i hadn't known the road and followed its instructions i'd have ended up reveresing half a mile back down this road as the road isn't wide enough to turn around in either.

We were going on holiday in the UK with some friends this summer, we planned our route on google maps and took a Collins Road map with us and found the caravan site easy. Our friends used Sat Nav, ended up in a farmyard first and then a graveyard before eventually finding the site by accident. And it took them 1 1/2 hours longer than us!!

That, and the stats which say that people making erratic moves on the road to follow Sat Nav instructions and/or trying to use the device whilst driving account to 10,000 accidents every year. I wont buy one ever. Can't honestly see what is wrong with a map?

I just bought one of these http://www.tjhughes.co.uk/Home_Entertainment/Sat_Navs/90202199999 as I was using my phone with TomTom and found the screen too small. Very easy to use interface. Not had chance to thoroughly test it yet.

It is refurbished, but mine is like brand new, all accessories are brand new and it even came with a screen protector attached.

Amazingly they don't tell you that it has built in bluetooth so you can use it hands free with your mobile. Also came with carry case, in car charger, spare suction cup and USB cable. An amazing bargain.

Cheers Simon

Sponsored Links
Buy a map and give it to your girlfriend.
Then she can navigate and give you a Gillian.
I’d like to see your SatNavs do that.

If I need to go somewhere that I cant find on my 1.99 map I usually find it on streetmap.co.uk first & print it out.

That said, I'd love a GPS, any make.
I'm told that if you've never had one then "any" is better than "none" :D

I love my Tom Tom. Went to five places today to do quotes and it found four places spot on and one place was 100M out (metres ;). Generally routes are same as I would choose.

I've got a tomtom which gets me where I'm going when in a strange area, but usually via a very roundabout route. As confirmed by seeing the routes it offers when in a known area.

I run a Tomtom which my employers gave me for work. It is useless.

It tries to take me to the main road by going down a road that has been cut in two with bollards for as long as anyone round here can remember.

It also sends me down green lanes...

Before work gave me the Tomtom, I bought a Garmin 310 (now replaced by the Nuvi 310).

It's still a good piece of kit, even though it is outmoded.

The POI feature works fantastically well. It finds stuff very quickly.

However, if I search the Tomtom for POI's, it finds nothing. :cry:

do you log it on to the net for updates?

IIRC you can set up POIs rules using your PC

there is a PC application that you get on a CD with the device that handles updates and setup.

You can also revise it by adding your own rules for blocked roads/new roads if you find something that is not correct on the loaded maps.

I've never had any problems with the original tom tom go and wouldnt part with it, it's helped me find places all up and down the country and has been a godsend.

There is a unit on www.ebuyer.com which can be hacked and loaded with other [better] satnav software - to give a better unit at less cost than one of the "official" ones. Its their own brand one for about £59 IIRC.

I use Nav and Go I go 8 now as it has better features and navigation than TomTom, IMO - especially for planning involving multiple locations on-route, and directions at busy junctions and islands

I've got a tomtom which gets me where I'm going when in a strange area, but usually via a very roundabout route. As confirmed by seeing the routes it offers when in a known area.

so you can avoid the police on the way home...............
bugger having all those radios and wheels in yer van :eek: ;)

so you can avoid the police on the way home...............
b*****r having all those radios and wheels in yer van

I know that you're just trying to be funny, but could you try a bit harder.

(WARNING)
This might involve your brain synapses having to cope with some original thought processes. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have only had experience of a TomTomGo300.

It gets me where I need to go, that's the main thing.

What I don't like is the way it tells you to 'turn left' when it means 'bear left' and 'bear right' when it means 'turn right'.

This often means I start indicating when I don't need to because there is just a bend in the road, not a junction...or worse still have to slow down pretty fast and indicate when I was just expecting a bend in the road.

Sponsored Links
Back