The best shelving installation solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old man has asked me to help him buy and install some shelving that's to be fitted to the wall of his professionally converted garage. I'm unsure what the best way to do this is though considering the wall construction.

It's a double skin brick wall that has had wooden batons applied and then plasterboard screwed onto that which was then skimmed and painted. The shelves will be needed to hold folders, files and books so they'll need to carry quite a bit of weight.

I'm not sure what the best way will be to safely fix shelving (probably twin slot adjustable shelving) and I'd be very grateful for some advice.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I should have mentioned the studs the builders used are too thin and small to fix to. They used 1" x 1\2 inch batons for some reason. The studs are also not in the right places to fix the adjustable shelving vertical fittings.

Either fix the verticals where the battens are (drill through the battens and plug and screw into the blocks if you like) or make a lot of 25 or so mm packers (stacks of penny washers would work but expensive), mark where you need holes to fix verticals, make a big hole in the pb so your packer will fit thru and sit against the blocks, drill, plug, fix.

Sponsored Links
Just drill through into the wall using longer screws and the shelf maker's reccomended number. No drama.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back