*The Did you Know thread*

Sponsored Links
Even more remarkable is the painted lady butterfly only lives for about a month, so it takes many generations to make the journey north to the UK and then many generations to get back to Africa. Incredible how it knows when it hatches if it is a North or Southbound generation - but they do know.

Sponsored Links
Even more remarkable is the painted lady butterfly only lives for about a month, so it takes many generations to make the journey north to the UK and then many generations to get back to Africa. Incredible how it knows when it hatches if it is a North or Southbound generation - but they do know.

Not what they were saying on TV last night.
A butterfly born in Morocco migrates direct to the UK (amongst other country's)
Within weeks and will die in the UK

Not what they were saying on TV last night.
A butterfly born in Morocco migrates direct to the UK (amongst other country's)
Within weeks and will die in the UK
Don't think they make it in a one'r, sure they have a breed cycle half way or more?

it says they only live for 2 to 4 weeks. so if they leave Morrocco in April and get back there in October then that could be 9 generations. they must know at birth whether they are to stay put, head north or head south.

Like many of these things I guess no one really knows for sure and undoubtedly different scientists will have varying opinions and theories - whatever though, it is a remarkable little creature.

As a new town all our pubs were named after butterflies. And we had a Painted Lady

And one of the locals to me (Shardlow, Derbys.) brews its own ale called "Painted Lady". Being a canal village though I think it's named after a narrow boat.

Don't think they make it in a one'r, sure they have a breed cycle half way or more?

it says they only live for 2 to 4 weeks. so if they leave Morrocco in April and get back there in October then that could be 9 generations. they must know at birth whether they are to stay put, head north or head south.

Like many of these things I guess no one really knows for sure and undoubtedly different scientists will have varying opinions and theories - whatever though, it is a remarkable little creature.

cardui occurs in any temperate zone, including mountains in the tropics. The species is resident only in warmer areas, but migrates in spring, and sometimes again in autumn. It migrates from North Africa and the Mediterranean to Britain and Europe in May and June,[6] and from the Red Sea basin, via Israel and Cyprus, to Turkey in March and April.[7][8]

A painted lady is also a name for a whore, Elton John sang "Sweet painted lady" on his fabulous Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album.
So she lays down beside me again
My sweet painted lady, the one with no name
Many have used her and many still do
There's a place in the world for a woman like you

Oh sweet painted lady
Seems it's always been the same
Getting paid for being laid
Guess that's the name of the game

Painted Lady was a way to describe a woman of loose morals as far back as the 1800's iirc. May even go back further.

Painted Lady was a way to describe a woman of loose morals as far back as the 1800's iirc. May even go back further.

The pub that was called the Painted Lady was then called the Jean Harlow.

I'm too young to know. But is there any connection?

This is a did you know thread.

This is where the members post their astonishing facts and we say "I did not know that"

Sponsored Links
Back