*The Did you Know thread*

The food we think of as Mexican is really American........

Crabsticks........as we all know def not crab (not sure if they are even food).

Sponsored Links
"Hamburger" is not German for a fried or grilled wad of minced cow.

But it is an American word for that thing.

Sponsored Links
Originating from Germany or why, then, did they call it that?

Wiener, of Wien (Vienna)

The Americans are not renowned for their knowledge nor use of foreign words.
Oh wait, perhaps there was a German immigrant.

Is there a place called Crab in Mexico?

Did you know:

We are leaving the EU on 31st Oct :ROFLMAO:

Said a load of Tory MPs hoping for a cabinet post

The Americans are not renowned for their knowledge nor use of foreign words.

If, in America, you buy "Swiss Cheese" where do you think it was made?

If, in America, you are served "Scotch Fillet," where do you think it came from?

If, in America, you see "Basmati Rice" advertised, where do you think it was grown?

Does anybody eat live yogurt?

Where do you think that live bacteria originated :eek::eek:

If, in America, you are served "Scotch Fillet," where do you think it came from?
If, in America, you see "Basmati Rice" advertised, where do you think it was grown?
Why do they call them that?

I presume
(1) because it is a "commercial term" which lends a false and spurious impression of quality and costliness

and
(2) because the US does not have good laws regulating misleading descriptions, and especially protection of regional specialities, which are enforcable and enforced.

If you buy Parma ham in the EU, or Stilton Cheese, or Champagne, or a Cornish Pasty, it must be produce from the place traditionally associated with the name, and must meet defined standards. Since every country in the EU has its own specialities which it wishes to protect, the principles of co-operation and equity caused them to agree to respect the protection of the other nations.

Speaking as a European, I find this very reasonable, and I support the protection of names in this way.

There was a time when you could be sold "Honduran Mahogany" which was neither.

Good grief - only presume.

Do you agree that all of those names originated in the places that have the same names?

If I'm not mistaken, none of them is in the US.

The only false and spurious impression imparted by the name hamburger to the average person, especially in the US, is the ham part, or are you telling us that people think they are meat from the bodies of German councillors?

I don't see the word "Hamburger" in that list of things.

Do you?

But they are examples of things that in the US are sold under misleading names.

Sponsored Links
Back