The dreaded newbie with hive issues

Sponsored Links
The old programmer was removed and the wiring was exactly as the hive required.At this point hive tell you to try the new receiver.I pressed the ch button and it operated the boiler. i pressed the hw and it operated the boiler. switching both off also worked.

OK that's as it should be at that point.

the next step was the thermostat. i had the whole internet side operating with the exception of the new hive roomstat. at this point i removed the drayton thermostat and could see only two wires and batteries. thinking i only needed to connect the two wires together into a choc block, i did wire the two wires together.

So are you saying that you took the brown and black wires out of the green terminals shown here, and connected them together, but did nothing else? If so, that is correct. The old thermostat was just a switch that would have connected the wires together internally, so nothing should have changed.

Capture.JPG

OK that's as it should be at that point.

Yes. That’s exactly what I did but as soon as I did the boiler stayed on regardless of what inputs I put into the new hive stat. It would appear by bridging the old stat it just sent the boiler to demand constantly. Despite all the hive equipment talking to each other the hive stat wouldn’t talk to the receiver to change demand.
I’m unclear as to what isn’t right

So are you saying that you took the brown and black wires out of the green terminals shown here, and connected them together, but did nothing else? If so, that is correct. The old thermostat was just a switch that would have connected the wires together internally, so nothing should have changed.

View attachment 173547

Sponsored Links
Check connections at boiler. Sounds like bridging the thermostat wires has created an extra long link at boiler terminals.

Haven't studied the whole thread. Just a thought having read the most recent.

With it as it is now. ie with the thermostat "bridged" what happens when you manually turn the hot water and central heating on and off using the buttons on the front of the Hive receiver?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back