the edge of tiles

I

imamartian

apologies for a bit of a novice question, but, having tiled the bathroom or kitchen, the tiles have 'raw' edges.... how do you finish them off?

is it best to use plastic finishes? or grout? or silicon? or paint?

Sponsored Links
Not sure whether you're meaning walls or floors here, but for walls, if you haven't used plastic or aluminium trims then you'll be left with finishing the edge with grout or decorators caulk. Both can be emulsioned to blend in with the wall.

Normally you would use PVC (or ally) trim:

edges-TiletrimPlain.jpg
edges-TiletrimPlain2.jpg

...as part of the tiling task, but you haven't said whether or not you've started, finished, or are in the middle of doing it.

As gcol has implied, you can't add the trim afterwards, so you have to be a decorator to finish it off.

Edit: gcol, have you ever tried cutting the 'tail' off a section of tile trim and sticking it against the side of the tile with silicone? I've seen a job where someone had done that and it didn't look awful.

gcol, have you ever tried cutting the 'tail' off a section of tile trim and sticking it against the side of the tile with silicone? I've seen a job where someone had done that and it didn't look awful.[/i]
I haven't actually done it myself - never needed to. It has crossed my mind though and every time I think it would be fiddley to cut, fiddley and messy to fit (not to mention time consuming). If that's not bad enough, the lengths of trim need to have been stored flat or else they could pull away from the tile if just a little bent. Suppose you could hold it in place with gaffer tape while it sets up though.

Sponsored Links
The jobs are long finished.
Firstly the tiles around the bath... the tiles just end and i forgot to put any edging on it, and the other is the kitchen, and the tiles form the windowsill.

In both instances you can see the red/brown clay edge.

Is my only option to paint the visible edge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back