The end of gas boilers....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...is nigh apparently. Is this what we have to look forward to?

The claim.

The claim.JPG

But the reported experience here, is somewhat different.

Sponsored Links
Thats scary.

But given the announcement of petrol and diesel cars being phased out in 2035, I suppose gas boilers are due to have the same fate.

And add to that the cost of electricity will rise when Hinckley C comes on stream, how will it be affordable

Hi @stem I have 3 of these that I look after made by that same lot, the tenants detest them, one in a 3 bed semi detached is £140 per week in winter, and they all constantly breakdown, when I need any components for them I go to where they are actually made as it is not far from me, the quality of the components is woefull, I have lost count of the amount of immersion thermostats I have returned

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I have seen a few for sale on various websites for between £500 to £1000 and most are just a few years old. They must be pretty woeful for folks to rip them out that soon after installation.

Sponsored Links
There's no way these targets are going to be met, it's all Government spin. Never mind gas boilers, if even 1% of the country rushed out and bought electric cars tomorrow, the entire National Grid would come to a grinding halt. We need much, much more generation capability before these things become a reality. The more militant aspects of the Greens need to get over themselves and accept that nuclear is the only way forward, and the Government need to start building more power stations, starting about 10 years ago

There's no way these targets are going to be met, it's all Government spin. Never mind gas boilers, if even 1% of the country rushed out and bought electric cars tomorrow, the entire National Grid would come to a grinding halt. We need much, much more generation capability before these things become a reality. The more militant aspects of the Greens need to get over themselves and accept that nuclear is the only way forward, and the Government need to start building more power stations, starting about 10 years ago
@muggles , I was at a gas supply outage recently 5000 homes and SGN were issuing temp 3KW electric heaters and they tripped the Electric sub station to the area as it overloaded , no way could the infrastructure cope with what the green appeasers propose

@muggles , I was at a gas supply outage recently 5000 homes and SGN were issuing temp 3KW electric heaters and they tripped the Electric sub station to the area as it overloaded , no way could the infrastructure cope with what the green appeasers propose
Quite. Everyone decides they want a 7kW home charger for their electric car, and they all plug in at 5.30pm, and it all stops. I'm all in favour of electric cars - we have one - but mass proliferation will end in disaster at the moment

Going gas / diesel / petrol free will not happen in my life time and I’m 30 I can assure you of that . Too much money in it ( taxes ) and not a viable source as of yet , who wants an electric car that can range at 280 miles and take an hour or so to charge .....

Going gas / diesel / petrol free will not happen in my life time and I’m 30 I can assure you of that . Too much money in it ( taxes ) and not a viable source as of yet , who wants an electric car that can range at 280 miles and take an hour or so to charge .....
280 miles is 4 hours driving minimum, realistically probably closer to 5. After that long on the road you really should be having a decent break. If you do want to press on though, the Tesla Model 3 will do 348 miles on a charge and add another 278 miles of range in 30 minutes, which is about the time it takes to eat your lunch at a service station

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
We will see , I just can’t see the country gearing up , charging points for a start and an incentive to go electric

the big car companies have stopped designing new petrol car and are now only developing electrics

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com%2Fic-ez-prod%2Fez%2Fimages%2F0%2F1%2F6%2F6%2F3756610-1-eng-GB%2Fsectors+chart.jpg

"The ongoing expansion of the charging network will place increased demands on National Grid (NG.), a key stakeholder in the development of EV infrastructure. But the utility has been upbeat in its assessment of whether it would meet an accelerated take-up of EV/hybrid vehicles. Last year, it was questioned on the issue, alongside Ofgem and the Energy Networks Association (ENA), by the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee. National Grid said its modelling shows that it’s unlikely an inordinate increase in generating capacity will be required, while the ENA believes that it could help to soak up inflexible generation (periodic excess capacity) on the system – a persistent problem for utilities."

https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/shares/2019/05/23/oil-majors-head-downstream-for-ev-assets/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back