The end of the war on the motorist

L

Lincsbodger

Finally, as well as the winding back of Labours Big Brother State, we have the end to Labours war on the motorist, and hopefully, the state will stop using the motorist as a bottomless pit of money.

The Tory secretary of state in the coalition Government pledged:

* Scrapping taxpayer funding for controversial speed-cameras
* No controversial pay as you drive road user charging for existing roads
* Consulting on a 'fair fuel stabiliser' to reduce duty and keep pump prices down when oil prices soar
* Cracking down on 'cowboy' clamping and parking companies
* Incentives to encourage use of 'greener' cars

Tell you what, weve had more reason and common sense from this government in the last 36 hours than the previous government managed in 14 years.

Sponsored Links
Tell you what, weve had more reason and common sense from this government in the last 36 hours than the previous government managed in 14 years.

Talk is cheap, if you listened to what Blair and his cronies were going to do it sounded wonderful. Let's see if this crew are any better at following through, time will tell.

Don't hold your breath. Blues not a good colour for the living.

See. this negativity baffles me. They have absolutley no reason to make these promises and then not follow through, unlike labour. They want to stay in power, and they want to make the coalition work,. They have every reason to impress the electorate and a million reasons to look different to Labour. If they make this coalition work, and it goes the distance, and they sort out the crap, they could be reelected on the same ticket and keep labour out of power 20 years. theres everything for them to play for.

I see no reasons whatsoever that they would commit electoral suicide by not doing as promised. I trust Cameron to keep his word several orders of magnitude more than any of browns corrupt shower.

Sponsored Links
I see no reasons whatsoever that they would commit electoral suicide by not doing as promised. I trust Cameron to keep his word several orders of magnitude more than any of browns corrupt shower

They are politicians.....as already said, talk is cheap!

Ah but nothing is ever as it seems, especially coming out of the mouth of a politician.....
and you don't need no fckin equations to prove that.

I agree that a politician's talk is cheap and that I have heard lots of promises from them in my lifetime - But - at least they are promises that I agree with. Maybe its time for this new goverment to put right all the totally ridiculous, stupid, mind boggling cr*p that came out of Labour.

Incentives to encourage use of 'greener' cars

this worries me. there is currently no "green" car, it simply doesnt exist. for the majority it is either out of their reach or of no interest to them.

i can only hope:

the recent threats of every registered vehicle having to be insured whether or not its on the road are forgotten about forever.

the recent rumours of the rolling 25+ tax free band being re-introduced are true.

the recent rumours on modified cars and the rising threat of BIVA and draconian type approval are addressed.

the governments seeming hatred to any vehicle over 10 years old changed to the only sensible view there is.

if they sort all of those things on my list and never do any other stupid car **** they may just have secured my vote till i die. i may even vote next time.

if they don't sort it i think i'm off somewhere a bit more sensible.

the recent threats of every registered vehicle having to be insured whether or not its on the road are forgotten about forever.

this is interesting. I hadn't noticed it before. It is a current requirement in France, I believe, perhaps Montainwalker could re-affrim that?? I believe very few people 'honour' the requirement. I suspect that the resources required to enforce it would be counter-productive.
I very much doubt if the previous government would have moved any further towards the French system.

But, having said that there is no Road Fund Licence in France and the 'MOT' is only every 2 years.
The 'equivalent' car insurance is, IMO, a better deal in France for the same cost.

So what is the complaint about the scrappage scheme? I used it and now have a very eco car. Also the 'first year duty' banding discourages buying higher-polluting cars.
That was Labour.

So what is the complaint about the scrappage scheme? I used it and now have a very eco car. Also the 'first year duty' banding discourages buying higher-polluting cars.
That was Labour.

The car scrappage scheme has only benefited car manufacturers. They alone have made profits out of it. Far from being a success, eco wise it has been an abject failure.
There are now thousands of cars stored at airfields up and down the country that have to be scrapped. Many of these cars are perfectly roadworthy and could benefit those on low wages/ moderate incomes.
As these cars already exist, the environmental benefit of scrapping them and replacing them with eco vehicles is outweighed by the manufacturing costs of new vehicles. Simples. Labour got it wrong ( as they usually did).

That was Labour.

scrappage was nothing more than a money making scheme for manufacturers and their lobbyists. which eco-turd did you buy?

if you are shelling out big money for a brand new planet raper (thats sarcasm BTW) the tax band is probably a mere pinprick. its later on in the cars life when the tax band outweighs its value, then it goes to an early grave and puts us all a bit more in the mire.

its all just about stoning more cash out of the poor muppet on the street. green tax? don't make me laugh.

Sponsored Links
Back