The end of the war on the motorist

My daughter as a £500 car outside,its a clean as a whistle peugeot 106,ideal first car so there are still some around.

Sponsored Links
My daughter as a £500 car outside,its a clean as a whistle peugeot 106,ideal first car so there are still some around.

They are still about if you look hard enough but in general the prices of second hand motors have risen.

You can't go far wrong with a pug diesel, the engines are bullet proof :D

Finally, as well as the winding back of Labours Big Brother State, we have the end to Labours war on the motorist, and hopefully, the state will stop using the motorist as a bottomless pit of money.

The Tory secretary of state in the coalition Government pledged:

* No controversial pay as you drive road user charging for existing roads

Tell you what, weve had more reason and common sense from this government in the last 36 hours than the previous government managed in 14 years.

Unwise to count your chickens prematurely, Lincs. The Lib-Dem input to any transport policy also needs to be considered and, according to this, they will be pressing for road pricing.

Congratulations once again for your comical input, Shifty.Oh! how I laughed!! (All the way to the bank, actually)

It's flattering to know that you can't resist following my posts, but can't you make yours, well, interesting??

Sponsored Links
So, when all you lemmings who swallowed the government/eco spiel and sacrificed your saloon cars for some shiny new shoe-box sized, lawnmower engined, vegetarian librarian's express, come to sell them in a few years time, they will be about as worthless as a Maxwell pension fund.

The market will be flooded with these preposterous little Noddy cars, and the 2 large that you got from the government will help offset all the money you're going to loose on depreciation. Another Labour con.

could be true in some cases. but I wanted a new small car for driving around town, and air con, and good fuel consumption.
So i got new, saved £2k on list, got rid of a worn out car and got 7 years warranty.
What's the problem? I want to keep it, not sell it in 3 years.
Oh, and £35 road tax, group 1 insurance.
Nothing sacrificed. I win.

The way fuel prices are rising you won't be able to give the gas guzzlers away when fuel hits £3 per litre.

You're so right, Joe, But lots of people on here know more than us...

value of old car with 2 months MOT, engine at 140K, accident damage??

Around £30.

The eldest daughters car had 4 months mot left on it when she tried to sell hers only asked for £100,it was a little 1997 fiesta 1.1 got no offers so scrapped it for £50.

could be true in some cases. but I wanted a new small car for driving around town, and air con, and good fuel consumption.
So i got new, saved £2k on list, got rid of a worn out car and got 7 years warranty.

Well, seeing that the car you scrapped had 2 months MOT, engine at 140K, accident damage and valued at around £30 I am unable to see how you haven't achieved a very good deal. The scrappage sheme, generally, has been a pretty flawed instrument given its original objectives, but not so in your case. Why do others have a problem with this? :confused:

Well, seeing that the car you scrapped had 2 months MOT, engine at 140K, accident damage and valued at around £30 I am unable to see how you haven't achieved a very good deal. The scrappage sheme, generally, has been a pretty flawed instrument given its original objectives, but not so in your case. Why do others have a problem with this? :confused:

the thing is, if scrappage hadn't gone ahead dealers would have been desperate to shift the stock anyway. £2k deals would have been available to all but the most dim of car buyers (you have to be dim to buy a new car anyway but someone has to do it i suppose)

the thing is, if scrappage hadn't gone ahead dealers would have been desperate to shift the stock anyway. £2k deals would have been available to all but the most dim of car buyers (you have to be dim to buy a new car anyway but someone has to do it i suppose)

Presumably, then, dealers would have been in this position prior to the scrappage scheme commencing and following its end (as of the beginning of April)? Which means that new car buyers (dim or otherwise) would have fared no worse in cutting a deal before or after the scheme? So have buyers benefitted from the scheme generally? Clearly both Ford and Vauxhall jacked their prices up by about 2 grand across the range ingly as the scheme kicked in, so it’s difficult to see any benefit for buyers of those cars.

The only punters that I know that have used it are friends of my folks (retired), who always buy new about every ten years or so. They kissed goodbye to a Renault Laguna with 160k on the dash for a top spec Toyota Auris SR (what you, nickso, might refer to as a Toyota Orifice :) ). They paid just over £13k but maintain that this would not have been possible for less than £14,800 previously. Could be he negotiated a good deal or perhaps the old showroom malaise of self-delusion took hold. Who knows?

Immediately after the scrappage ended, the same dealer I used offered £500 off list price, (so no great price hike during the scrappage) but only if you used their finance. Dealer finance was not a good deal in itself.
I wanted a new car and I got a good bargain. I don't have to think about it for the next 7 years. Suits me.

Sponsored Links
Back