The end of the war on the motorist

It depends what you want from a car.

If you want to use it to get from A to B and not worried about how long it takes to get there, a cheapy jap ****ter like the picanto and I10 are the way to go.

Personally I enjoy driving and these motors would bore me ****less irrespective of running costs.

Enjoy your wear and tear on the motorway when your engine is screaming in pain just to maintain a constant 70mph :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It depends what you want from a car.

If you want to use it to get from A to B and not worried about how long it takes to get there, a cheapy jap ****ter like the picanto and I10 are the way to go.

Personally I enjoy driving and these motors would bore me ****less irrespective of running costs.

Enjoy your wear and tear on the motorway when your engine is screaming in pain just to maintain a constant 70mph :LOL:

Pssssht rubbish.

Ive never paid more than £1000 for a car in my life, the last 7 cars ive had go ContinaMk 3, Cortina Mk 4, Sierra Mk1, Sierra Mk 2 Sierra Mk 2, Mondeo Mk 1, Mondeo Mk 2. Ive towed an 18 foot caravan as well with them.

All of them 1600 to 2000 L, the average MOT has been about £200, that last one on the Mondeo P reg was £98. Easy to fix, relatively cheap to run, ive spent less on cars in 10 years all in than you have in the last 18 months - and its not like buying new g'tee's you wont have problems, but it does g'tee they will be expensive to fix!!!. Enjoy throwing your money away on pointless newness............

Never really understood the VED ladder. Supposedly it's to do with C02 emissions, yes? So big emitters of CO2 should pay proportionately more?

Generally cars with big engines are more thirsty, therefore pay a subtantial amount more fuel tax than a more efficient, read smaller, engine.

If you drive a long way everyday, from experience, I'd say that a small engined car is going to experience a good deal more stress on it, higher revs, more component wear, thus potentially higher servicing / repair costs, plus ultimately it will reach it's demise much earlier on. Parts cost a lot of money, due to the fact that to manufacture them requires a lot of energy.

Put this all together, smaller metro cars, generally potter about town, don't use a lot of fuel, and hence pay proportionately less fuel tax.

Larger engined cars are generally used for longer distances, say motorways and consquently use considerably more fuel, and hence pay considerably more fuel duty.

But now, they are doubly taxed, with VED being on a sliding scale, what I say is make the MOT your VED, plus proof of insurance, i.e. something to display in the car windscreen, then do the necessay maths at the fuel pump.

Advantages :-

Cuts down admin costs / paperwork
Ensures fair, "road usage" taxing.

Disadvantages

The incumbent government loses a stealth tax, of which only a tiny proportion of which actually goes on roads.
Fujitsu or some other incompetant company would have to try to link up the MOT system with the DVLA system, which would be utterly chaotic.

[/code]

My eternal thanks, Lincs , for quoting shifty's post. (he is on ignore). As suspected his input was comical and pointless, but he gets pleasure from reading all my posts, so what the hell.
I spent many years restoring and selling Cortina MkIII estates, my favourite British car. I also spent many years building and racing 454 Chevys. What i found was that I could import race parts from the States and I could rebuild a V8 for less than the same rebuild on a Ford Cortina.
The simple reason was that spares in this country are overpriced.
As for today's micro's, they do not struggle to do 70 mph, they are not over-revving, nothing is wearing out faster (they are half the weight of a big macho shifty car) and they use a lot less fuel to do it all.
When I want fun, i get out the FJR 1300 and wind the nuts off it. It does 50 to the gallon and would leave shifty standing in a queue of traffic proudly watching his petrol gauge drop.

Sponsored Links
My eternal thanks, Lincs , for quoting shifty's post. (he is on ignore). As suspected his input was comical and pointless, but he gets pleasure from reading all my posts, so what the hell.
I spent many years restoring and selling Cortina MkIII estates, .

I got to the stage i could change a cylinder head gasket and decoke a pinto engine in the dark in two hours.....................

:D

It's easier with the lights on!!

I was a scrapyard dog at one time, had all sorts of weird and wonderful cars.
I collected a few Hillman Imps once, then called my mates round to race around a track I made in the woods. One condition, do it in reverse only, on mirrors, painted out rear screen..

Time to put the new car away and go for a spin on the new bike

Sponsored Links
Back