The end of the war on the motorist

Immediately after the scrappage ended, the same dealer I used offered £500 off list price, (so no great price hike during the scrappage) but only if you used their finance. Dealer finance was not a good deal in itself.
I wanted a new car and I got a good bargain. I don't have to think about it for the next 7 years. Suits me.

Theres only two things that depreciate faster than a car, thats a motorhome and a computer. You drive a new car home from the dealer, you just lost £500, three years later youve lost maybe 1/3 of its value. Motorhomes are even worse, you buy a new motorhome for £70,000 and take it back three years later, you just lost £35,000. Unless you going to live in it instead of a house , that makes the 18 off weekends you used it i n3 years cost you about £1000 a day. Cheaper to stay in a posh hotel. Computers are the worst. If i pay £600 for a new computer, in three years time its worth £25.

Thats why i never waste money buying any of those three new..........

Sponsored Links
Can't talk me out of it!!

It's what I wanted!

difficult to talk you out of something you already own. :rolleyes:

the point, that i'm sure you are well aware of by now, is you are a sucker, along with several thousand other suckers.

you wanted it, well fair enough. did you actually understand the maths and environmental impact of what you did? only you know that.

the thing is, if scrappage hadn't gone ahead dealers would have been desperate to shift the stock anyway. £2k deals would have been available to all but the most dim of car buyers (you have to be dim to buy a new car anyway but someone has to do it i suppose)

Presumably, then, dealers would have been in this position prior to the scrappage scheme commencing and following its end (as of the beginning of April)? Which means that new car buyers (dim or otherwise) would have fared no worse in cutting a deal before or after the scheme? So have buyers benefitted from the scheme generally? Clearly both Ford and Vauxhall jacked their prices up by about 2 grand across the range ingly as the scheme kicked in, so it’s difficult to see any benefit for buyers of those cars.

The only punters that I know that have used it are friends of my folks (retired), who always buy new about every ten years or so. They kissed goodbye to a Renault Laguna with 160k on the dash for a top spec Toyota Auris SR (what you, nickso, might refer to as a Toyota Orifice :) ). They paid just over £13k but maintain that this would not have been possible for less than £14,800 previously. Could be he negotiated a good deal or perhaps the old showroom malaise of self-delusion took hold. Who knows?

perhaps he did get a "deal". i still maintain that with some nouse and a firm hand deals could have been made regardless of where the government wanted to waste money and destroy another 0.00001% of the environment through poor green policy.

new car buyers usually have no nouse or firmness of hand, thats why they buy new in the belief they are buying something that will impress the jones's or will be fail proof. these plankton are a necessary evil of course, otherwise i couldn't drive ex £40k motors for buttons.

Sponsored Links
The car i bought new had a price tag of £7.5K. I got it for £2K less.
It's price now is £7.5K, with £500 off if you take the finance.

Does someone think I lost out??

well you drove it home, it lost £500 for a start.................

tell us what it is and we will decide if its magically keeping its value.

Reliant Robin GT 8 valve, overhead air filter. 3 1/2 J wheels, flared arches, straight through exhaust, 2 and 60 air con and mud flaps ;)

Reliant Robin GT 8 valve, overhead air filter. 3 1/2 J wheels, flared arches, straight through exhaust, 2 and 60 air con and mud flaps ;)

3-wheel drive, no mud flaps (bad for aerodynamics)

I'm guessing its a Hyundai i10 from the information. We thought about buying one for my gf on scrappage as they were a genuinely good deal. They're predicted to hold their value quite well(comparitively) and are very cheap to run/own. The Mot on her car run out and repairs were going to be costly so we didn't bother, but I don't think it would have been a bad deal in the circumstances. You wouldn't otherwise get one for just over £5000, when we tried negotiating without the scrappage it was tough getting it down anywhere near £6k. So the scrappage would have made a big difference, maybe realistically of about £1-1.2k difference in this particular instance.

Close. Kia Picanto, 1.1. for the price the build quality is very good, and it is so cheap to run it's almost embarrassing.
Wait for the pith-takers, now, but watch them all clamour for the 'sewing-machine boxes' as running costs continue to spiral.

you don't realise the difference running costs have until you experience some extremes at either end.
My gfs last car was a daewoo matiz 0.8. I swear that half the time it ran on fresh air it was insane. it would cost less than £30 to fill up and do easy 50mpg as well as the cheap tyres, cheap road tax etc....
shes got a 1.4 ibiza now and she is constantly moaning about buying fuel even though she's getting a fairly average 35mpg.
There's definately a smart decision in buying these cheap runarounds with fuel costs etc. Also the asian build quality is usually far superior to alot of the french rubbish we end up buying here and in some cases is as good if not better than the germans.

just been on the phone to a tyre distributor who also just bought the picanto 'Strike'..(He had been running a Chrysler Hemi.!!) Any way he said don't buy the small cars with 15" alloys as the tyres will be really expensive to replace. you have been warned.
also, interestingly, he said the cost of tyres generally will be rising v. soon. Something to do with a requirement to use 'clean oil' in manufacture. It seems that the Chinese will not adopt this technology so their cheap tyres will not be available, with knock-on effects to the whole market
wait and see....

Sponsored Links
Back