The first to spot Christmas

Steve said:
You's lot are behind the times! We had Christmas stuff in before halloween stuff was sent in! :LOL: End of august. The distribution centres have to get it shipped to stores early due to the sheer quantity of stock involved. They simply couldnt store it all, even stuff with long dates. Our company has a scheduled allocation period leading up to christmas. Practically every delivery has some allocated christmas stock on it now, gradually increasing up to christmas.

You must be excited about Christmas coming, what's Santa going to bring you this year. (c'mon it's makes a change from Thermo's ribbing!)

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
You must be excited about Christmas coming, what's Santa going to bring you this year.
Nothing unless he promises to sit on his knee first ;)

Wife just bought me a pack of Stollen slices from Tescos..I said I wouldnt touch em till christmas out of principle ...but the sell by runs out in mid december

What do I do :confused:

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
luke_vibert_uk said:
Mince Pies in our Tesco two weeks ago and three boxes already line our cupboards :LOL:

OOI, what are their BBE's?
(For everyone else's benefit, mince pies are a cake product and therefore only have about a month and a half life)

Funny you mention that anyway Simon, last year we were allocated hundreds of packs of mince pies early, octoberish. They didn't sell, as the promotion wasn't due to start for about a month after the allocation. Therefore they went out of date middle of november, and the morons who allocated them had to credit our stores hundreds of pounds for the loss, then we ordered loads of mince pies the next week, for when the promotion started (if i remember right they shorted us then because they were withholding the stock for more allocations)! Christmas can be a very trying time in the retail business when you have morons running the distribution centre.

For example, the headmaster from the school over the road has been into the shop to ask if its possible for him to buy 450 selection boxes. We'd need 57 cases of them. Our distribution centre would laugh at us (allocation only item until about a week before xmas), and we'd be £675 of sales down. :(

Xmas came early for some !
"Northern Rock yesterday (19th Sept.) vowed to press ahead with a £60 million shareholder payout, despite having been forced to obtain an emergency loan from the Bank of England to stay in business..."

ffs!
:D :cry:

empip said:
Xmas came early for some !
"Northern Rock yesterday (19th Sept.) vowed to press ahead with a £60 million shareholder payout, despite having been forced to obtain an emergency loan from the Bank of England to stay in business..."

ffs!
:D :cry:
If a bank had to go cap in hand to the BOE then surely dealing in their shares should have been frozen to stop people taking advantage and what message does this show to investors?!

I don't think shareholders have been taking advantage. Many of them them have been selling their shares at a substantial loss.

It is now rumoured that one of the clearing banks is offering to buy the company at £2 per share

As they were trading at £12 six months ago this must be a bitter disappointment, especially for any who have not taken the usual advice to diversify their portfolios.

Zampa said:
Wife just bought me a pack of Stollen slices from Tescos..I said I wouldnt touch em till christmas out of principle ...but the sell by runs out in mid december

What do I do :confused:

can you freeze them? :confused:

JohnD said:
I don't think shareholders have been taking advantage. Many of them them have been selling their shares at a substantial loss.

It is now rumoured that one of the clearing banks is offering to buy the company at £2 per share
Investing in shares is no different to playing poker with people whose faces are hidden.
If you can't take the heat, best stay out of the hot place.

I think it is different.

Due to economic growth and company profits, it is not a zero-sum game.

For example, if you invest in a well-run Electricity company, it is fairly likely to be able to keep selling electricity for many years and making an honest profit on the trade.

Sometimes, of course, companies get into trouble, so it is best not put all your baskets in one egg.

JohnD said:
Due to economic growth and company profits, it is not a zero-sum game.
I take your point (about the difference), but it's still merely a gamble since it depends on things you can't control, and involves no small amount of bluffing, since you're second guessing other investors' decisions.

On the way home late tonight,coming through a small village, a pub-the Prince of Wales all decked out-christmas tree in the front porch,lights on and outside lights going around the front of the building. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back