The great GU10, Halogen/CFL/L.E.D/ debate

Sponsored Links
BAS, is our court jester, I think he's great fun.

And he feels his opinion should be held by the rest of the universe. You do what you want, BAS opinions do have some validity regarding running cost of trad GU10's (etc) but in a free society you are more than welcome to chose what YOU like.

And he feels his opinion should be held by the rest of the universe.
Show me someone who doesn't think that if he is right about something everybody else should agree.

You do what you want, BAS opinions do have some validity regarding running cost of trad GU10's (etc) but in a free society you are more than welcome to chose what YOU like.
And you are free to read, consider, act on or ignore advice and explanations of pros and cons of different types of lighting.

Just as I am free to give that advice and those explanations, despite GrumpyDiyer thinking that I should not because not everybody agrees with me.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1829057#1829057

BAS - you have converted me...

I am going to abandon the 16 spotlights and go with 2 of these....

http://www.screwfix.com/p/2-x-18w-hf-low-energy-downlight/33287

A couple of questions though..

1) Do I need special wiring or will my existing spot light wiring be sufficient

2) There is insulation above the lighting - how much space do I need to clear around?

3) Do I need a "hood" for this type of lighting?

4) Do these get as hot as spot lights?

5) Is there anything else specific that I should be aware of with this type of lighting?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
1) It will be fine.

2) Refer to the maker's instructions for clearances.

3) Yes - they have a particularly open construction, so you will need to block the passage of air in both directions. It becomes a fundamental issue when you cut holes in ceilings.

4) Nowhere near.

5) I would suggest looking at others, or canvassing opinions on makes. Personally I'm a little worried by "reflector in specular vacuum metallised plastic" - sounds like it could be a tad flimsy, and that maybe one with a metal reflector would be better.

Also, think about whether you should look for different features, or consider changing or converting the supplied ballast. Lights like that can be dimmed with the right ballast, and can be bought as, or converted to be, emergency lighting - they look just the same, all the emergency lighting stuff is in the ceiling, and they normally work just the same, the only difference is that if there's a power cut or you lose the lighting circuit they come on - can be very useful, depending where they are. I've got one just inside the kitchen above the door to the cupboard where the CU lives and two more waiting to go into the landing and the hallway.

1) It will be fine.

2) Refer to the maker's instructions for clearances.

3) Yes - they have a particularly open construction, so you will need to block the passage of air in both directions. It becomes a fundamental issue when you cut holes in ceilings.

4) Nowhere near.

5) I would suggest looking at others, or canvassing opinions on makes. Personally I'm a little worried by "reflector in specular vacuum metallised plastic" - sounds like it could be a tad flimsy, and that maybe one with a metal reflector would be better.

Also, think about whether you should look for different features, or consider changing or converting the supplied ballast. Lights like that can be dimmed with the right ballast, and can be bought as, or converted to be, emergency lighting - they look just the same, all the emergency lighting stuff is in the ceiling, and they normally work just the same, the only difference is that if there's a power cut or you lose the lighting circuit they come on - can be very useful, depending where they are. I've got one just inside the kitchen above the door to the cupboard where the CU lives and two more waiting to go into the landing and the hallway.

1) thanks

2) appears to suggest insulation should be any insulation... I am just going to take out the insulation from that panel in the ceiling. Do you think that will be ok?

http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/p4734501.pdf

3) How important is this? I was going to make a plasterboard box around it....

4) thanks

5) Agreed re the plastic.... but the problem with the metal ones (looked at JCC) are that they are not slimline so will be squashed against the celotex above. This make is slim line so has more clearance.

I would be intersted in everyones thoughts on this, and whether a different brand is a preferred solution?

I only have 6-8 inches between the plasterboard ceiling and the celotex above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back