The humps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it me or are the other drivers a bit thick?
Near where I live is a road with a series of humps designed to slow drivers down.
However I have lost count of the number of drivers who on approaching a hump suddenly decide to drive very close to the kerb to avoid the two inside wheels going over the hump.
I am no engineer, but surely this will result in greater stress and ultimately more wear and tear on the cars suspension than if all four wheels went evenly over the hump.
Yes I no it's a bit sad but I would like to know if my theory is correct.

Sponsored Links
I do exactly that in my van.
As the van is owned by the company I work for I'm am not all that bothered about wear and tear, but I have found that going over with 2 wheels saves shaking all the bits out of my lin-bins onto the floor of the back of the van.

put the roads back....thats what i say..road humps was brought out for twockers, rife a couple of years ago,But with better security on cars nowadays it's hardly heard of....Road humps just love works vehicles vans and lorrys.- The drivers aint bothered because it's not their vehicle.... road humps shake properties to bits....road humps does not deter speeders...you could say i've got the hump about this ;)

i like the humps where there's just a "hill" in the middle, and you can straddle the hill with the wheels :LOL:

but these are ever so slightly pointless once drivers get good at positioning the car right, surely.

Anyone who has driven in America will have seen those spikes in the ground on exits / entrances to carparks which are able to be raised or lowered - i like these, why not connect one to a Gatso and see how many people get their tyres shredded :LOL: (actually, i think they are like a one way control thing - going the wrong way will cause them to stick in the tyre, but my idea of raising / lowering is cool :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
the humps that are small hills are there for a reason, bus drivers, a bus can straddle them very easily which saves the driver suffering since he has to go over them all day long.

the spike things are weighted plates that tip up to as you say stop you going in the exit, but they do need maintenance, as they have a gap it soon fills with general crud and they stick in the driver over position

Nice on a bike - in wet / icy conditions - a rubber 'part width hump' steeply contoured, perhaps with the odd fixing bolt missing..

If you have the hump about --- a hump !
The law The Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1999
Been a victim? Get measuring. I wonder how accurately they measure the things, on installation?

6) No road hump shall be constructed or maintained in a highway:...
(d) above or within 25 metres of any part of a bridge over which a carriageway of that highway passes or any part of a tunnel, culvert or other similar structure which crosses beneath a carriageway of that highway.

[url=http://www.bromleytransport.org.uk/Legal_basis_of_traffic_calming.htm]LINK[/url] said:
...There are specific regulations on the construction of overrun areas and rumble devices which limit their height for example. But one interesting point to note is the rule that "No traffic calming work shall be constructed or maintained in a carriageway so as to prevent the passage of any vehicle unless the passage of that vehicle is otherwise lawfully prohibited". This was probably designed to avoid such measures being used to prohibit heavy goods vehicles for example, without a more specific regulation being invoked, but it may be relevant in other ways if you own a vehicle that has difficulty in negotiating speed humps...
There are no minimum vehicle ground clearance rules that I am aware of.

:D

I'm sure i read somewhere about an air filled hump that if driven over at 30mph the air escapes quickly through valves and is effectivly flat and you don't even notice it.if you was to go at it at more than 30mph the air cannot escape as quick so stays rigid.don't know what would happen for ambulances/police/fire services though.

crafty1289 said:
i like the humps where there's just a "hill" in the middle, and you can straddle the hill with the wheels :LOL:

I saw a very unhappy Porche driver in London who tried to straddle the humps. There were bits of his front spoiler all over the road :cry:

Pensdown said:
crafty1289 said:

I saw a very unhappy Porche driver in London who tried to straddle the humps. There were bits of his front spoiler all over the road :cry:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Pensdown said:
crafty1289 said:

...There are specific regulations on the construction of overrun areas and rumble devices which limit their height for example. But one interesting point to note is the rule that "No traffic calming work shall be constructed or maintained in a carriageway so as to prevent the passage of any vehicle unless the passage of that vehicle is otherwise lawfully prohibited". This was probably designed to avoid such measures being used to prohibit heavy goods vehicles for example, without a more specific regulation being invoked, but it may be relevant in other ways if you own a vehicle that has difficulty in negotiating speed humps...

No rules concerning vehicle ground clearance .. No laws concerning the method of driving over speed humps within the speed limit.

The portch oops Porsche Driver may have justifiable cause for complaint !
;)

Sponsored Links
Back