The last fag .....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was talking with a neighbour today who's just recently given up smoking and I couldn't remember when I gave up the dirty filthy stinking habit. Is that a milestone ? Am I cured ? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
nope, never cured... ever...

my aunt hadn't smoked for 20 years, but then the death of my grandmother ( her mother ) started her off again as the stress got to her..

she gave up again a few years later but it just shows that it never goes away.. it's all conditioning..

I guess it is! I gave up November 16th, so 4 months weed free. I don't feel much different, I've put on around 7 lbs, but food does taste better, although I have a non-smokers cough, an intermittently blocked nose, and I cough up some really nasty stuff on occasion. Besides that I'm feeling fantastic!!! :LOL:

Thanks Koljack. There goes the pin to burst my bubble. I'll probably get depressed now and light up. :LOL: :LOL:

It's nice to know your aunt gave up again.

Sponsored Links
One of the staff at my new shop collapsed and had a heart attack at work last year. She's smoked all her life, shes in her late 40s now.

Unfortunately even in hospital and under doctors strict advice she couldnt give up. But now she's on that "miracle" stop smoking drug, and is supposed to be stopping on thursday.

Obviously we're going to be supporting her. Cant be easy when you're that dependant.

Coljack is right to an extent, the trigger for an ex-smoker to start smoking again only needs to be what a non smoker may regard as 'trivial', and stress is a big trigger in an ex-smoker starting back up.

In my opinion if you are the type of person who may be easily convinced, either in your own mind or by others, then you could be susceptible to weakening and relighting.

I have on occasion questioned myself if I walk past someone who is smoking, or at other times, with the question, "Do I want a cigarette?", not "I want a fag!!" and so far, every time it's been a resounding "No."

I gave up 'cold turkey' as I've done on numerous previous occasions, the only difference this time was that, when I finished my last roll up, I said I would "Give it a go", instead of "That's it, never again!!", and so far, so good!! :D [/i]

I really hope she can do it Steve. She has my heart felt support as well. My wife smokes quite heavily but her job creates a lot of stress and her efforts to give up are allways dampened by heavier work loads. I often think that with a three month break she could maybe crack it but .......

It is true that you will always be an ex smoker and not a non smoker and I could quite easily light one up sometimes. :(

All I have said for the last 2 yrs is that I am not smoking at the moment and so far so good.

Don't give up giving up! :D

The last fag, I thought the post was about slick's passage to becoming straight. or just slick's passage even!
I'll get my coat :oops:

I thought it was a thread about Elton John :cry:

I packed up on about the 6th try over 16 years ago - cold turkey from 40 a day. I've never met anyone apart from my dad who managed it by cutting down gradually (mind you, he only smoked 7 a day to start with :rolleyes: )

16 years on I've absolutely no craving to smoke again, although the first 3 years were hell. Patches and chewing gum helped, but you need to be careful that you don't get hooked on the gum instead like my sister-in-law did. In fact I now find the smell of tobacco repulsive. It's only when you stand next to a heavy smoker you realise how badly you must have stunk. I may not have the craving any more, but I know that if I did try a cigarette now I'd be back on 40 a day in 2 weeks flat. Once you pack in it's permanent - don't even think about the odd one at Christmas.

The downside: 1) three and a half stone weight gain, which I'm still wrestling with. 2) For the first year after quitting I'd never been so ill in my life: chest and throat infections galore and near terminal mouth ulcers. It's as if your immune system takes a break after battling with all the toxins in tobacco for decades. It does improve, though.

Stick with it. You won't regret it in the long term. The only thing I can't figure out is what happened to all that money I've saved??....

I packed up on about the 6th try over 16 years ago - cold turkey from 40 a day. I've never met anyone apart from my dad who managed it by cutting down gradually (mind you, he only smoked 7 a day to start with :rolleyes: )

16 years on I've absolutely no craving to smoke again, although the first 3 years were hell. Patches and chewing gum helped, but you need to be careful that you don't get hooked on the gum instead like my sister-in-law did. In fact I now find the smell of tobacco repulsive. It's only when you stand next to a heavy smoker you realise how badly you must have stunk. I may not have the craving any more, but I know that if I did try a cigarette now I'd be back on 40 a day in 2 weeks flat. Once you pack in it's permanent - don't even think about the odd one at Christmas.

The downside: 1) three and a half stone weight gain, which I'm still wrestling with. 2) For the first year after quitting I'd never been so ill in my life: chest and throat infections galore and near terminal mouth ulcers. It's as if your immune system takes a break after battling with all the toxins in tobacco for decades. It does improve, though.

Stick with it. You won't regret it in the long term. The only thing I can't figure out is what happened to all that money I've saved??....
Sounds like it went on take away and bonjela! :D

I was just talking with my wife on the phone as she was having a ciggy and a cup of coffee. She is working on a film preview in Berlin. She left home early this morning, flew to Berlin, spent the day organizing the show and is now going through the sound checks and probably wont finish until the early hours. I think she deserves a fag if she wants one.

I think what I'm getting at is that when I gave up I didn't have any outside pressures. I just decided and went cold turkey. I think that you have to have the right enviroment to be able to give up. If you have too many stresses and pressures it just doesn't work.

Sponsored Links
Back