The most boring country / place you've ever been.

Singapore used to be very interesting.

Then they knocked down all the old buildings, turned it into a modern planned city, and it became really boring.

Then they realised they could attract tourists by pretending to be interesting so they built some buildings that were like the ones they knocked down twenty years ealier.

But it's only skin deep, it's still an incredibly boring place. The food there is however excellent.

Sponsored Links
I was at school in Singapore from 66-69, it definately wasn't dull, sterile or tidy back then, you didn't happen to bump into my childhood sweatheart, Leha Binte Abdul Rahman did you??

No didn't to the best of my knowledge meet your sweetheart.
If the question had been about where to live then Singapore would have won hands down over Hong Kong , but it's a great place to visit

Does anybody actually live anywhere interesting?

Probably get shot down in flames, but I rarely find anywhere or anything interesting, location wise, in The UK. Most places seem to have been sterilised and made to look like anywhere else. Most of the character have gone, and anything than smacks of non-conformity and character has been removed. This story says it all -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-20971961

My part of Bristol had 8 pubs in a small area. Twenty or thirty years ago, these pubs were busy with all sorts of people. All the pubs had their own atmosphere and local charcters from 20 year olds up to late 70s of all walks of life. Friday and Saturaday night, there would be a huge queue out of the chipshop door after closing.

Now it's virtually dead. One pubs closed, another seems to be a permanent disco/karaoke bar to attract anybody they can and most of the others are just hanging on. No one seems interested and probably don't have the money. Probably all at home on the sofa watching X Factor drinking Aldi lager. Friday night in the locals is now quieter than a Monday night used to be.

The only places I find that still have some life and are interesting are abroad. Travelled central Europe a lot and The US, and was always sad to leave. Back to grey old England. :(

The US!! every town looks the same in the US! It has some stunning countryside as does the UK, but its towns and cities must rank among the worst. (I have to confess though I am beginning to find the UK's weather a tad on the tedious side now)

The US!! every town looks the same in the US! It has some stunning countryside as does the UK, but its towns and cities must rank among the worst. (I have to confess though I am beginning to find the UK's weather a tad on the tedious side now)

This is due to large national retail chains and franchises. The UK is very much the same. Most large towns and cities have a high street featuring Tescos, Boots, MacDonalds and such like.

Sponsored Links
Dishonourable mentions also to Runcorn and Stoke.

Runcorn is where the worst of Liverpool and Manchester meets and settles down, right next to Widnes which stinks.

Stoke is just grim.

. Bratislava was also very dull after experiencing Prague.

After over 20 trips to Prague (going again next month), we were thinking of trying the Slovak capital. However a Czech said Bratislava was a s*** hole. Apparently Brno is better, will try soon. Prague can seem grey and a bit grimey in some parts, but those Czechs know how to enjoy themselves. Close-run think with Belgium V Czech Rep. over who does the best beer, but at less than £1 pint (much less outside Prague), the C.R. wins hands down.

Where are you in the C. R. ?

I dont think Bratislava is a s***hole, probably just a bit of jingoism from the Czech there. Its tidy enough, its just dull. Really not much to see and do after the museums, architecture and atmosphere of Prague. To be honest Brno is pretty similar, town centre is nice enough and there are some good pubs and clubs and a bit of a university town atmosphere in season but it lacks things to see and do again, unless the motorbikes are on as that MotoGP is hosted 10 mins from town.

Im 40 mins drive from Brno, on the edge of what they call Vysocina(highlands), all forests and fields. Brno is better for living and working in then Prague, its quicker to get around by car plus in Prague its easy to be eaten alive by the nightlife.

Best places in CZ for me depends on if your with the lads or the mrs. For something different on the ale Ostrava is best. Its a bit like some sort of Czech Liverpool or Glasgow. Rough old (post) industrial town with the best atmosphere and nightlife, one street Stodolni with hundreds of pubs/clubs. With the mrs Cesky Krumlov and Karlovy Vary are the nicest looking places for tourists, spa towns, but they are full of old Germans or rich Russians and lack a Czech atmosphere.

Nicest off the beaten track place is South Moravia, jump from town to town like Znojmo, Valtice and Mikulov. Its the wine region and also known for its plum brandy. Could also fit trips to Brno and Vienna around there. I mostly knock about here as the mrs is from there. Your right they do know how to have fun, just spent the weekend in some village dressed as Darth Vader and getting leathered on the plum brandy (Slivovice) for our version of Halloween, Masopust, ask for some next time your in Prague - pronounced Sliv o vitz a.

It's not really about how clean and tidy a place is. Vancouver is truly beautiful as is Switzerland, but just very very dull !!

Vancouver, routinely voted the best city in the world to live in..... I think not.

After over 20 trips to Prague (going again next month), we were thinking of trying the Slovak capital. However a Czech said Bratislava was a s*** hole. Apparently Brno is better, will try soon. Prague can seem grey and a bit grimey in some parts, but those Czechs know how to enjoy themselves. Close-run think with Belgium V Czech Rep. over who does the best beer, but at less than £1 pint (much less outside Prague), the C.R. wins hands down.

I dont think Bratislava is a s***hole, probably just a bit of jingoism from the Czech there. Its tidy enough, its just dull. Really not much to see and do after the museums, architecture and atmosphere of Prague. To be honest Brno is pretty similar, town centre is nice enough and there are some good pubs and clubs and a bit of a university town atmosphere in season but it lacks things to see and do again, unless the motorbikes are on as that MotoGP is hosted 10 mins from town.

Im 40 mins drive from Brno, on the edge of what they call Vysocina(highlands), all forests and fields. Brno is better for living and working in then Prague, its quicker to get around by car plus in Prague its easy to be eaten alive by the nightlife.

Best places in CZ for me depends on if your with the lads or the mrs. For something different on the ale Ostrava is best. Its a bit like some sort of Czech Liverpool or Glasgow. Rough old (post) industrial town with the best atmosphere and nightlife, one street Stodolni with hundreds of pubs/clubs. With the mrs Cesky Krumlov and Karlovy Vary are the nicest looking places for tourists, spa towns, but they are full of old Germans or rich Russians and lack a Czech atmosphere.

Nicest off the beaten track place is South Moravia, jump from town to town like Znojmo, Valtice and Mikulov. Its the wine region and also known for its plum brandy. Could also fit trips to Brno and Vienna around there. I mostly knock about here as the mrs is from there. Your right they do know how to have fun, just spent the weekend in some village dressed as Darth Vader and getting leathered on the plum brandy (Slivovice) for our version of Halloween, Masopust, ask for some next time your in Prague - pronounced Sliv o vitz a.

Thanks for info. Been meaning to get to C Krumlov and Moravia, especially to try the wine. A friend in Prague regualarly goes to the Moravian wine festivals.

Yes, have tried the slivovice, but found it a bit harsh. I do like the Williams pear slivovice though. I usually have a Becherovka to keep my Pilsner company. Maybe a Tuzemsky rum.

If you ever need recommendations for pubs in Prague, inc a few brewery pubs just outside the city, let me know. I have researched the subject extensively. Na zdravi! ;)

I was at school in Singapore from 66-69, it definately wasn't dull, sterile or tidy back then, you didn't happen to bump into my childhood sweatheart, Leha Binte Abdul Rahman did you??

Was she the girl who came to UK and had a red 'No You're Not Getting A Council House' on her Forhead ?. :LOL:

Thanks for info. Been meaning to get to C Krumlov and Moravia, especially to try the wine. A friend in Prague regualarly goes to the Moravian wine festivals.

Yes, have tried the slivovice, but found it a bit harsh. I do like the Williams pear slivovice though. I usually have a Becherovka to keep my Pilsner company. Maybe a Tuzemsky rum.

If you ever need recommendations for pubs in Prague, inc a few brewery pubs just outside the city, let me know. I have researched the subject extensively. Na zdravi! ;)

They have 2 decent wine festivals(Vinobrany), one in Znojmo and another in Breclav and some smaller towns too probably. King and Queen and a load of knights go marching through town in Sept. Another good event is Burcakfest, usually some concerts but its mostly about a special young wine Burcak which is unfermented and tastes like nectar around Sept/Oct. Id recomend Moravia, its always been more enticing then western Bohemia for me.

http://www.radio.cz/en/section/curraffrs/burcak-the-traditional-young-moravian-wine-in-season-again

I agree Slivovice is a challenge, I used to prefer Becherovka too when I lived in Prague. I think the Slovaks make a better Slivovice usually called Slivka which is sweeter. Merunkovice might be easier to swallow, apricot brandy. But its usually homemade so the quality and sweetness varies, I used to drink in a Prague pub ran by people from Ostrava so the slivovice was quality.

Did you get to the Kozel brewery outside Prague in Velke Popovice? If not Id recomend the tour, get a bus there from Prague for about 2 quid. Kozel was my favourite beer and I had the good fortune of living 5 mins from the brewery for 4 years, they have won beer of the year a good few times. In my local now they only have Starobrno beer, which is an awful brew avoid it like you would Helden Brau.

Prague is another place that has gone wrong since the mass tourist invasion after the low cost airlines started flying there.

When I Were A Lad if you wanted to see these places you either had to have loadsamoney to fly, or loadsatime to take the train/coach. Now every man and his weekend fling can afford to go out there. Also the former Eastern Bloc can travel so vastly increasing the numbers.

Now this is a good thing, but it has changed a lot of places, and probably for the worse.

Hang on I forgot about the tank museum in Cornwall, now there's a couple of hours I'll never get back.

Sponsored Links
Back