The mystery of the failing Halogen - can you help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping more electrically experienced minds than mine can point me in the right direction, because what's happening seems to defy all logic.

Our 13-year old house is approximately half LED downlighters and half halogen. Three of the halogens have gone intermittent, and one of them stopped working completely a few days ago.

When they go intermittent, they usually come back on if you give the lamp a flick with your finger.

I put a new lamp into the unit that has completely failed, but it doesn't come on. I've tried the lamp in another holder and it works. (And I've tried a different bulb in the failed holder...)

With my multimeter set to 9VDC, I can't get a reading off the bulb holder. I was ready to conclude the transformer had failed, but when I put an LED lamp in there, it flashed continuously, so the transformer must be outputting 12V, or thereabouts. Uh?

As the unit appears to have a transformer attached to it, I assume that if I remove the whole thing and replace it with an LED unit and driver, the fact the rest of the lamps on the circuit are halogen is irrelevant. Correct?

Also, as the unit is in a stairwell, which is the only exit, do the regs say I should install a fire rated unit?

Any help gratefully received. o_O

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I appreciate the replies. Pardon my ignorance, but I assumed the transformer output would be DC. At my age, I should know better than to assume anything. So it's probably AC. Back to the meter. I suspect it will still leave the paradox of the transformer working on some level, but not actually powering the halogen lamp.

12V halogen drivers don't output DC, and they typically only output anything if a load is connected, so any attempt to test the output will usually result in nothing at all even if it is working.

, I assume that if I remove the whole thing and replace it with an LED unit and driver, the fact the rest of the lamps on the circuit are halogen is irrelevant. Correct?
Yes, although you don't need a separate lamp and driver - sling the existing lights away and buy some new GU10 downlights with GU10 LED lamps to put in them.

12V halogen drivers don't output DC, and they typically only output anything if a load is connected, so any attempt to test the output will usually result in nothing at all even if it is working.

Yes, although you don't need a separate lamp and driver - sling the existing lights away and buy some new GU10 downlights with GU10 LED lamps to put in them.

Brilliant. Thanks. (y)(y)(y)

I take it you mean 240V lamps?
Can you get GU10 lamps in any other voltage?

I took @flameport to mean 240V, as the all the ones I have are. If there is some variant, I wasn't aware of it. It sounds as if that would be my best bet, in that is inexpensive, easy to action, pretty bound to work, and I would reduce energy consumption if I do the whole lot.

So, I never get to work out exactly what's wrong with the halogens...

Most likely is the lampholder, they get overheated, the metal contacts become weak and don't make proper contact with the pins on the lamp.

That certainly seems like a good match for what I've described, especially the 'tap it and it works' part. Thank you one and all. I know what to do now.,

Just to let you know, I ordered four units from TLC and successfully installed the first one today. That did the trick. Only two errors on my part: 1) I didn't realise the old transformer was a factory sealed unit with fixed tails, so I spent ages getting it open, only to discover I had to cut the wires anyway, and 2) they didn't come with lamps, so I had to put a halogen GU10 in there anyway. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back