Theresa May aborts planned vote on Brexit deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like we could be heading for a no deal, which is probably the best option.
Under a no deal the government can tell the EU to go whistle for their £36billion.
The term '''No Deal' is a perjorative coined by the remainers to undermine confidence in the economy.
A better term would be Clean break meaning a new start with no obligations on either side, for a start the government could bring back the Visa system for Europeans and abolish the CTA which would put the wind up politicians in the Irish Republic.
So the UK starts out life outside the EU by reneging on it's obligations and it's own/international law?

Sounds exactly like a 'banana republic' approach - which is quite appropriate given the circumstances!

Sponsored Links
So the UK starts out life outside the EU by reneging on it's obligations and it's own/international law?

Sounds exactly like a 'banana republic' approach - which is quite appropriate given the circumstances!
If the EU insists on being intransigent and allows the Irish government to block a fair agreement by demanding an internal customs border within the UK what else can the UK do.
Don't you know it is only defeated nations who have their countries carved up by foreigners.

If the EU insists on being intransigent and allows the Irish government to block a fair agreement by demanding an internal customs border within the UK what else can the UK do.
The EU is not being intransigent, it is simply sticking to the rules regarding a country leaving...

Rules that the UK helped formulate and agreed to!

If the UK chooses to renege, then it indeed becomes a banana republic!

And btw, it is not just the republic of Ireland demanding an open border, it is N.I. too!

So where would you draw the border (especially under WTO rules), and how would you police it?

Looks like we could be heading for a no deal, which is probably the best option.
Only for traitors.

Under a no deal the government can tell the EU to go whistle for their £36billion.
Excellent idea.

As one of our very first acts as an independent trading nation we show that we cannot be trusted to honour financial commitments that we make.

How could that possibly have any negative repercussions for us?

The term '''No Deal' is a perjorative coined by the remainers to undermine confidence in the economy.
No - it is an option which will genuinely undermine the actual economy. Do you really think that economists, businesses, financial organisations, foreign central banks etc are swayed by what name it's called by?

A better term would be Clean break meaning a new start with no obligations on either side,
Doesn't matter what you call it - the nature of it remains the same and that is the problem.

for a start the government could bring back the Visa system for Europeans and abolish the CTA which would put the wind up politicians in the Irish Republic.
You really are on form for brilliant ideas tonight aren't you.

So now your desire for a max-smash arrangement in Ireland extends to being happy to see terrorists back on our streets just so that you can indulge your Little Englander fantasies.

Sponsored Links
I will.

But not until after at least one of the people saying that we should trade on WTO rules explains to us how that works. I am not the one advocating it, therefore it does not behove me to explain.

I will.

But not until after at least one of the people saying that we should trade on WTO rules explains to us how that works. I am not the one advocating it, therefore it does not behove me to explain.

Your initial response was about WTO being the same as EU membership, with regard to "everyone getting what no-one wanted", for which I was requesting your explanation.
Nothing to do with anyone advocating WTO.

Simple question for you.

Do you think that there are no negotiations between countries or blocs in the WTO?

Simple question for you.

Do you think that there are no negotiations between countries or blocs in the WTO?

What I think is neither here nor there; the question was what you know.

There is also a difference between what happens "between countries or blocs", and what the WTO per se does, is there not?

I will.

Why explain to you.when you know everything already.

But a no Irish border is also enshrined in UK law...

So it's not annexation by the EU - it's the probability that the Island of Ireland becomes a reality at some point in the future!
There is an Irish border, it has been there for almost 100 years.
Two separate jurisdictions.

There is an Irish border, it has been there for almost 100 years.
Two separate jurisdictions.
But no restrictions on freedom of movement/trade...

Scotland also has a different jurisdiction, and (for now) the same freedoms apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back