Thermostat wiring extenstion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a honeywell thermostat. The thing that controls the heating temperature and ive got another thing underneath it that control the hotwater and central heating system etc.

They have only been recently installed but I would like to change the location and put them inside the store cupboard as theres no need really for them to be on the wall, seeing I can put them out of the way in the cupoard/larder.

There is no excess wire to entend it now but I have got the same cable to extend them if possible.

Is it possible to disconnect both controllers and then use connector blocks to extend the wiring so that the controllers can be located in the cupboard?

If so what ampage blocks do I need?

Sponsored Links
personally I'd never use "chocolate blocks" to extend any wiring... I'd feel much safer in replacing the entire length of cable.

....could guess at the ampage, but it would be much safer if you checked yourself... it should say on the mcb that provides the supply.

Thanks for the reply.

So it is possible to do it? and more importantly will it work and will it be safe?

Apart from re-running the entire cable (Which is not possible as it has been plastered over) is there any other method which allows the extending of a cable which is most recommended?

If you can't pull the cables out so they are in the cupboard, (ie if the cables are on the room side of the wall, you could sink a 1G box, extend the cables using crimp connectors and put a blank plate on top. If the cables are in a conduit or channel, could you pull them back through to the underfloor space, and re-route them inside the cupboard? That way, you may not need to extend at all.

Sponsored Links
me! ^

Thanks for the info securespark, think ill use the crimp connectors to make the extension.

murraysnudge said:
Who would want a room stat inside a cupboard though?
benjiman said:
You do realise, don't you, that if you put a thermostat somewhere that's not directly heated by the CH, that it will no longer work properly?

ban-all-sheds said:
murraysnudge said:
Who would want a room stat inside a cupboard though?
benjiman said:
You do realise, don't you, that if you put a thermostat somewhere that's not directly heated by the CH, that it will no longer work properly?

Really?! Can you explain that in a bit more detail please. whats CH? Central heating? The cupboard is fairly large. The fridge used to go in it but now we have a bigger fridge that will go in the kitchen therefore I have decided to make that space into a cupboard kinda thing.

Yup - CH is Central Heating.

The CH warms the air, and the thermostat, by sensing the temperature of the air, turns the heating on and off to maintain the temperature you have set.

If you put the thermostat somewhere where warm air is not reaching it (i.e. in a cupboard), then it won't know that the air is warm, and it will keep the heating on. Eventually, I imagine, the air in the cupboard will be warmed, and the heating will turn off, but it might be like a sauna in the rest of the house by then. Similarly, if the cupboard doesn't lose heat easily, then once it's at the required temperature, it'll turn the heating off, and may keep it off even if the temperature in the rest of the house has fallen.

You can get some very unobtrusive wireless controllers these days - I'd advise one of those, as you can experiment with where the best place in the house is for it.

Brilliant stuff! absolutly blooming marvelous. You learn something new everyday! Thanks BAS :D

Had no idea a thermostat worked like that. Hadnt even crossed my mind when I felt cold and turned it up what exactly was going on inside that little thing.

My understanding was that you turn it up to say 25 degrees and thats what it does! Little did I know that theres some clever gadgetry inside it.

Many thanks for your help. Better move that little bugger back outside again. But the central heating/water timer box can stay in the cupboard from now on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back