Thermostat woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope someone can help please.
I have recently replaced an ageing mechanical thermostat with a new but inexpensive Drayton “CombiStat” (1). It works ok but my heating switches on an off much too regularly - on/off approximately every two minutes which is clearly very inefficient and pretty noisy at 7am too.

I was advised to try a digital thermostat as they apparently switch more intelligently and as a result are much more efficient, so bought a Floureon (2) (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0752F87K8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_WhQrAbKV5SE7Q). I installed the Floureon attempting to follow the Chenglish instructions and managed to get it up and running, display working correctly, etc., but it didn’t actually fire the boiler up when the require temperature was set much higher than the current room temperature.

I am wondering if the old timer I currently have installed needs to be set in a particular way or even bypassed altogether - it also controls my hot water - I tried it set in all possible states, but to no avail.

I’ve included photos of the current mechanical thermostat and the current installed water/heating timer.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• EFA014B0-B8F5-4BEC-86A6-9E096C36B469.jpeg
    EFA014B0-B8F5-4BEC-86A6-9E096C36B469.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 134
  • B5369782-2417-4434-B7C1-608B0957FEDE.jpeg
    B5369782-2417-4434-B7C1-608B0957FEDE.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 132
  • B9B24CC9-A7A8-4610-85F4-7643772DA4C2.jpeg
    B9B24CC9-A7A8-4610-85F4-7643772DA4C2.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
I doubt if the room stat is switching your heating every 2 mins. Whilst your system is running, monitor the thermostat in the junction box and I'm sure you will find it does not switch. Cycling such as you describe is usually down to the boiler thermostat and caused by poor circulation.

Ok thanks oilhead. The system is very old - 80’s - and desperately needs updating, but for now I’d still like to install this digital thermostat if possible. I’m told the boiler is gravity fed and the last plumber I had said he was amazed it was still running.

Anyone know if this thermostat will work alongside my current equipment please?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You’d be amazed at how many people with boiler issues think it will all be cured by installing a funky new thermostat!

It’s just a switch! Remove the stat and link the wires... bet your boiler still short cycles!

I really do appreciate your advice regarding the boiler guys, and I’m sure you’re completely correct. However, the property is rented, the boiler and heating system are from the 1980s and neither the landlord or letting agent are even remotely interested in updating anything in the near future so I’m stuck with trying to make the best of a bad situation. Getting a plumber or sparky in over the next few days isn’t going to be an easy task due to the remoteness of where I live, the time of year and the fact that I’m due back to work on Tuesday morning, so I’d really like to try and get the heating working with some degree of satisfaction if I can.
Therefore, if anyone would be good enough to help me with this thermostat as things stand I’d be very grateful - at least so it works automatically to save me having to manually turn it on and off as currently. I’m more than happy to leave the old thermostat in place if that’s easier, as long as it works to some degree.

Currently, the old one is connected as shown below. The problem is, it’s bypassing the timer. Ie: even if the time is set to OFF, the boiler/heating still start up depending on the thermostat setting - so I’m constantly having to manually adjust the thermostat.

Again, thanks in advance for your time, especially at this time of year - and a Happy New Year to all.

Attachments

• 1E838348-D026-4165-8EF8-BDC619659A30.jpeg
    1E838348-D026-4165-8EF8-BDC619659A30.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 127
You now have two room thermostats and two timers, no wonder you are having problems.
Tbh if you haven't got your landlord's permission, you shouldn't be touching it.

You should at least contact him/her to discuss options.
Not all landlords are loaded, you could offer to pay a professional to do the job and deduct it from the rent, with receipts of course.

The landlord and agent have been contact numerous times over recent months, but thanks for your input.

We can’t help with uncaring landlords.
You need a pro in mate coz that all needs tracing and identifying before you can get it setup with whatever that Floureon crap is. It’ll need hybridising as you’ll likely need the old prog for your hot water timing and then leave CH side constantly on whilst new gizmo takes over control of that! So CH on constant and then wires from that to prog/stat to power it up and make switch during a timed “on” period and when stat calls for heat.

Fair enough, I’ll get someone in asap, which will more than likely be a week tomorrow with any luck. Thanks for the info.

So, forgetting about the Flourean for now, can you hazard a guess as to why the ‘older’ (and much more basic) Drayton is overiding the ‘off’ setting of the timer? Do my connections look correct at least?

Thanks again

The landlord and agent have been contact numerous times over recent months, but thanks for your input.

Like I said. Withhold a portion of the rent until it's fixed, obviously explain to them why you are doing it. You are breaking the terms of your tenancy agreement, by trying to repair, as is your landlord if he has not 'acted to repair within a reasonable time'.

Just saying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back