They expecting trouble?

It took over two days to get our power restored and 6 days to get power to the local 'mast' . If it hadn't been for the BT copper system and us having an "un-smart" land-line phone there was no way to call for help in the event of a 'real' emergency. BT have stated they want to kill off the copper land-line system and replace it with a fibre based system. Similarly this and no doubt the next series of governments also want to kill off gas central heating and solid fuel (including firewood) fires. Soon everything will depend upon a supply of electrical power; and that seems to be getting based around wind. During the recent storm (even though we hadn't any power) we could see the local wind farm shutdown due to excessive wind. The following day it was again shutdown due to there being no wind. At one time the 'generating board' ensured there was capacity and resilience in the generation and distribution system, but such resilience is gradually being lost. My advice - make sure you have a good supply of candles and brandy. :)
This reminds me of when my workplace transitioned to a VOIP phone network.
Someone hadn't considered the need for emergency calls should the power go. Hence some very quick rewriting of risk assessments and nominating certain phones to be emergency phones; patched to specific UPS backed up switches in the LAN rooms!

Sponsored Links
Round here they appear to have Inlet sockets on the side of the boxes, so i assume someone may turn up and plug a generator in.
Some and Some.

One a tower site I have services on there used to be 5 mobile phone providers, AFAIA only 3 had generator inlets and 2 had any form of battery. One of those the batteries have swollen and split open so I doubt there is any functionality there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back