Things we are not allowed to talk about on this forum

• Thread starter Bodgeit and scarper ltd
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Unfortunately those very restrictions threaten to remove the freedoms rather than protect them..!

I'm afraid I see it differently.

Most people apply their own morals or at least sense of self preservation before deciding a likely course of action. That action may well be at odds with what the general population in large or small numbers consider acceptable but they and the law recognises the "right" to peruse that course of action. However, that "right" cannot and does not give an absolute right to do or say as you please. We have gained not lost as a result.

Question?? what is the real reason our leader's lied to us, and started these WARS, that have killed on both sides, many more than the holocaust and any genocide you can name.

No-one else? OK, I'll bite...

1) The holocaust. It killed more than 30 times as many people as the current Iraq conflict and 100 times as many people as the Afghan conflict.

2) The genocide in Rwanda, a mere 15 years ago, resulted in the deaths of over 500,000 people. If you take the current death tolls of Iraq and Afghanistan, add them together, and double it, it's still less than Rwanda. I am including all civilian and military losses, by the way.

Depends where you get your info from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War
Several sources quoted, all of which vary wildly.

Even figures given for Rwandan and holocaust deaths vary by considerable amounts.

Ultimately, the quoting of numbers does not prove any argument or opinion. (Unless the debate is specifically about maths and stats)

Sponsored Links
Blimey, I see this discussion went on till the early hours, over a few glasses/beers, I hope.

Well B & S, now you have your answer

Just to rake up some ashes:
Spokesman Anjem Choudary said: "We are having a procession, it's in Wootton Bassett but it's not about the people there and it's not against them personally - rather it's to highlight the real cost of war in Afghanistan.

"The sad reality of the situation is that if I were to hold it somewhere else it would not have the media attention that it has now.

"If I am to balance between the sensitivity of having it in Wootton Bassett and the possibility of continuing the quagmire and cycle of death in Afghanistan, then quite honestly I'm going to balance in favour of the latter."

Seems like a pretty reasonable argument to me.
Whereas:
The home secretary has said he will back any request from police or local government to ban an Islamic group marching through Wootton Bassett.
Yeah, right we invade other sovereign countries to support their right to free speech, then we ban it at home :?:

Incidentally, which life is worth the greater grieving? The professional soldier who signs up knowing the risk of being killed, on these occasions whilst invading another country, in the name of....errr....exactly....err...do we really know :?:
Or the terrorist/freedom-fighter/resistance-fighter/saboteur killed defending, fighting or seeking revenge for what they consider to be an act of violence against their people? (I use all of the those terms to encapsulate the "subjective" view of those people) Don't give me an argument of "if you're defending your country against invaision, why are you not fighting the soldiers?" We wasted many decades teaching our enemies how to fight and that includes taking the war to the enemy. We can't take the moral high ground now. I digress.
Or the innocent civilian killed through no fault of their own, considered to be just collateral damage?:evil:

This is what the march was about! And having written that and understanding the reason for the march, well, If I was a protesting type of person, a) I would have joined in the anti-war marches and b) I would have been seriously considering joining this march.

It is not against our soldiers. It is about, as the man said, the true cost of war.

Yes there have been civilian casualties on both sides. Why, oh, why will our politicians not learn that violence breeds violence.

And to mention another issue: How can our politicians reasonably argue that corporal punishment is wrong in the home, then dish it out internationally? Some twisted thinking there, me thinks!
And another issue; the aftermath of war, not just the hatred and prejudice but also and especially landmines that continue to kill and maim for decades after the end of the war :evil:

Blimey, I see this discussion went on till the early hours, over a few glasses/beers, I hope.

Well B & S, now you have your answer

Just to rake up some ashes:
Spokesman Anjem Choudary said: "We are having a procession, it's in Wootton Bassett but it's not about the people there and it's not against them personally - rather it's to highlight the real cost of war in Afghanistan.

"The sad reality of the situation is that if I were to hold it somewhere else it would not have the media attention that it has now.

"If I am to balance between the sensitivity of having it in Wootton Bassett and the possibility of continuing the quagmire and cycle of death in Afghanistan, then quite honestly I'm going to balance in favour of the latter."

Seems like a pretty reasonable argument to me.
Whereas:
The home secretary has said he will back any request from police or local government to ban an Islamic group marching through Wootton Bassett.
Yeah, right we invade other sovereign countries to support their right to free speech, then we ban it at home :?:

Incidentally, which life is worth the greater grieving? The professional soldier who signs up knowing the risk of being killed, on these occasions whilst invading another country, in the name of....errr....exactly....err...do we really know :?:
Or the terrorist/freedom-fighter/resistance-fighter/saboteur killed defending, fighting or seeking revenge for what they consider to be an act of violence against their people? (I use all of the those terms to encapsulate the "subjective" view of those people) Don't give me an argument of "if you're defending your country against invaision, why are you not fighting the soldiers?" We wasted many decades teaching our enemies how to fight and that includes taking the war to the enemy. We can't take the moral high ground now. I digress.
Or the innocent civilian killed through no fault of their own, considered to be just collateral damage?:evil:

This is what the march was about! And having written that and understanding the reason for the march, well, If I was a protesting type of person, a) I would have joined in the anti-war marches and b) I would have been seriously considering joining this march.

It is not against our soldiers. It is about, as the man said, the true cost of war.

Yes there have been civilian casualties on both sides. Why, oh, why will our politicians not learn that violence breeds violence.

And to mention another issue: How can our politicians reasonably argue that corporal punishment is wrong in the home, then dish it out internationally? Some twisted thinking there, me thinks!
And another issue; the aftermath of war, not just the hatred and prejudice but also and especially landmines that continue to kill and maim for decades after the end of the war :evil:
Hear,Hear.

thanks for your thanks NG, I'm trying to stay ahead of LLL in the thanks department
thanks again ;) :p :p

It was Tony Blair that started the war, they should kill him and his supporters, and not bomb trains and things.
If they do not like our way of life why do they live here.
This Christian and Muslim living together thing will never work.
The best thing to do is bring our troops home and send people that do not like our way of life to a place they will be happy

The best thing to do is ...../ /...... and send people that do not like our way of life to a place they will be happy
That'll include a lot of old people then ;)
This Christian and Muslim living together thing will never work.
Interesting hypothesis. (Using 'hypothesis' in it's colloquial sense of theory requiring a bit of substantive evidence). Southern Spain, to name one place, is a failed state then :?:

If they do not like our way of life why do they live here.
I thought I'd covered this in depth. Incidentally, as an addition to my previous posts about refugees choosing their manner of death (on land as a consequence of the situation or at sea at the hand of pirates or weather/thirst/hunger). When/if they do ever reach a place of safety they are subjected to prejudice, sometimes acts of violence. They suffer at the hands of criminals, (yes, indigenous ones) without being aware of their rights. They are not allowed to travel back to their own country for fear of persecution or worse. And, in addition, they are unable to contact their family, if any survive, either to let them know that they are OK and safe, or to find out if they even have any family left.

who said refugees, its the troublemakers that we need to get rid of. I take it you will be at the march then

If they want to march and march somewhere that highlights it then let them march through a para camp . It will make more of a statement and the general public will not be inconvienced.

Sponsored Links
Back