Thinking of buying a house have a building question before i

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have seen a house that we really like but there is one main thing that i dont like about the house, it does not have a hallway. I was wondering if there was any possible way of converting the garage some way to form a ? study/play room and hall. I dont know any builders, does anyone know of a web site u can send a floor layout to to see if there is any possibility of changing the layout? Thank you for reading this post.

Sponsored Links
Yea, send me your existing plans/elevations, then I'll send you some proposals.

Oh yea that's £100 in advance BTW?

Or just upload the plans and a photo of the outside in your gallery and post them in this thread, then get comment/suggestions off the forum! :rolleyes:

Was not sure if i would be able to put photos up as it is not our house.

I think i have uploaded some photos. I do love the house just do not like the layout and not having a hall. i had thought about just putting a hall in from the door to the stairs but really makes the living room too small. Its quite an small odd shape as it is.

Sponsored Links
If I were you I'd download a free version of Google Sketchup and start sketching. It really is pretty simple and quick to use.

Looking at your pics etc I'm not sure there's a simple forum answer, really it needs drawing up to see what it looks like, the obvious solution as you've surmised is to convert part or all of the garage and get a hallway in there although maybe moving the front door, maybe adding a window to the left of a new front door (or not), possibly bricking up the existing front door or inserting a window or maybe widening the existing lounge window, the possibilities are endless but without seeing what they look like its pretty difficult to determine. I would say an attractive solution was probably available but it really needs drawing up to find it

You could leave the door where it was and turn immediately to your left as you came in so leave the front door where it was, this may be a bit odd though.

You seem to have the added issue of not being able to move the doorway between the lounge and the dining room.

What about adding a side extension on to the living room to make it a bit wider and just continuing the hallway straight down to the dinning room.

So I would go ahead and buy on the proviso that an attractive solution is likely to be available and that if you are not up to it yourself, you may have to pay for someone's time and experience (ie a good architectural technician) for a little feasibility and that possibly a good all round solution (attractive/practical/within budget etc) is not available so maybe also consider whether you could live with it or not in its current layout if a better solution could not be found.

Unless you are in a conservation area or other oddity Planning Permission is unlikely to be required although you should check with your planning department that you "retain full Permitted Development rights for your property" just tell them you're the owner if the ask.

So many possibilities .....

Thank you i will go and have a look at google sketch up now. Thank you also for your other comments. the idea about moving the door was actually very useful. The more and more i think about it the house does have more scope then i first thought and price good too. Thank you.

With due respect to freddy - I think the hall could go straight from the existing bit to the door opposite - then the " lounge" becomes the dining room and vice versa :idea: and your lounge has the conservatory off it then . Just one point - will that layout/use mean the conny/living room is N. facing - maybe a drawback , one I have in my present bungalow , but I`ve got a 100 foot garden to look out on as compensation - do use the heating a bit longer in the year though.

But it you do that Nige you just get a long dingy corridor with no light. I’ve had a quick play around, I’ve made a number of assumptions:

That you don’t have loads of money (coz you would simply buy a bigger house).
You won’t be moving out whilst the work is completed.
You have limited DIY skills.
You are unable to put clear glazing in the side walls.
You don’t need a garage.
I haven’t bothered to show the conservatory.

Light is your issue therefore I have tried to use the windows that exist. I think you would be better off using the dining room as a lounge and have labeled the plan accordingly. I’ve put the door where the garage door is because there is already structural support there so no extra work required. So basically you are providing a new front door with sidelight (possibly re use the existing) a couple of stud walls, a couple of cupboard doors, 1 new internal door to office (or reuse kitchen door if you put in an archway as I suggest). I’ve suggested an archway at the end of the hallway to keep it as open (and light) as possible. I’ve also suggested opening up the entrance from your existing dining room to the kitchen to give the illusion of more space. You will need to brick up the old front door and some of the garage opening. Obviously if you were able to you would probably put a window in the office.

All measurements are guestimates but you should be able to relate them to the reality. Hope it helps

Yes and you have both missed the point in that the possibilities are endless and any schemes suggested on here are pointless without an elevation.

Lol, did you post that after you got back from the pub??

Of course the possibilities are endless but as I stated in my reply I have assumed that the original poster does not have infinite amounts of money to throw at the job therefore I went for the simplest design to achieve what they said they wanted - no alteration to drainage, minimal structural work, mimimal disruption to habitation - it's a floor plan to show what's possible why does it need an elevation? Just imagine a door and side light in place of the right side of the garage door and bricks where the front door is at the moment - surely that's not so hard?

Think you should lay off the Stella - you obviously get a bit punchy when you've had a few - maybe try Vimto next time you go out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back