Thinking of buying a new build house. Not sure if heating is appropriate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of buying a 6 bedroom house with 4 bathrooms. Going to view it tomorrow, however I'm a bit concerned about the heating design.. it all runs off a combi boiler.. was thinking to serve a large property like this would require a system boiler? What do you guys think. The video of the house is in the link below

Also, can anyone identify the boiler.. you get a quick glimpse near the beginning of the video.

Any other advice about buying the property or any questions I should ask would be appreciated.

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=216992836419482&_rdr

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks like a glow worm boiler.

There maybe a hot water store somewhere.

It is a glow worm boiler, a combi is not suitable for that house, as above there is possibly an unvented cylinder somewhere

If it is running off a combi it’s going to be completely inadequate,check if it’s got a unvented cylinder somewhere

Sponsored Links
Hmmm.... I don't see an Airing Cupboard shown on the floor plan. Estate agents usually show them as AC and that's where a hot water cylinder would usually live.

bc1a4990b240f43afa37be5e629a0e6e55655e53.png

When I rang the estate agent he said it's running off a combi and advised that I could install electric showers if we wanted to have simultaneous showers!

So assuming it hasn't got an unvented cylinder, how much we talking as a ball park figure to rectify

Yeah a combi is definitely not suitable for that. Got to ask yourself what other corners have been cut, and whether you really want it...

It's not just the cost to rectify, but the mess too. The whole place is most likely plumbed in 15mm for hot and cold. You'd need a 22mm pipe taking from the stopcock and running to wherever you want your airing cupboard to be, then 22mm hot & balanced-pressure cold water running away from that to your bathrooms. Essentially a full re-pipe. You'd need to take a flow & return from the boiler to the same location. It's going to be difficult to do all that discreetly in a finished house.

Last edited:
One bedroom seems to have access only via the French Doors
upload_2021-1-5_7-43-55.png

The people who design and build these developments do not have to live in them.

I was thinking that an unvented cylinder could be installed in the 'utility room' alongside a system boiler.. probably need 300 litres? or is that too much

re-piping in 22mm would be a nightmare.

Consider this scenario, replace combi with a system and in the same utility room install a unvented cylinder and connect up to the existing 15mm pipipng. Work wise that would be minimal (I think!) in the sense that all the work would be confined to the utility room

What issues would we have in this scenario (with 15mm piping et al)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back