This doesn't look right!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been checking my roof for storm damage. There's an area where the chimney from our gas fire comes out of the roof that is pretty difficult to see, so in the past 4 years that we've lived here I've never even looked at it. Anyway I thought I could see some flashing lifted up and eventually managed to get a good view from a neighbours garden and this is what I could see:

chimney.jpg

It's not storm damage and it's probably always been like this (which would explain why we've had the odd bird in the loft) but it doesn't look right to me! What do you guys think?

Frazz

Sponsored Links
Just as I'd figured. I'm waiting for the Lone Ranger to get back in touch with me regarding replacing all of the pointing along the ridge that has fallen out. At least the ridge tiles must be firmly stuck down as they didn't blow off in the recent wind, but the ever mounting piles of pointing I'm collecting isn't right either. I'll get him to sort this out if and when he turns up.

Thanks - Frazz

Sponsored Links
The only picture I can find, as you see the flashing goes under the tiles and over the top on the bottom row tiles. Your photo on the left side of the pipe should have another half of tile to support the flashing.
flashing_intro.gif

Gas fitters, :rolleyes: when us plumbers used to fit boilers.... :rolleyes: seriously....have you had the appliance serviced/checked ...the flue may not even be in the correct place :eek:

We hardly ever use the gas fire - in fact the gas supply to it has been switched off since last winter as we haven't need to use it since then. It was 'smoke tested' a couple of years ago after we had a small gas leak repaired and it was drawing fine then - is that all that is done to test it?

Frazz

Frazz said:
... but it doesn't look right to me! What do you guys think?

Frazz

No it is not right. That is a terrible joint on the PVCu bargeboard.

Cowboys :rolleyes:

It's pretty good compared to those on our neighbours! I think Tonto did theirs :confused:

Frazz said:
We hardly ever use the gas fire - in fact the gas supply to it has been switched off since last winter as we haven't need to use it since then. It was 'smoke tested' a couple of years ago after we had a small gas leak repaired and it was drawing fine then - is that all that is done to test it?

Frazz
Can`t comment, never got Corgi Reg. plenty of corgi guys in the plumbing/heating forum ;)

Well the Lone Ranger has turned up with a couple of 'his lads' - obviously has decided not to get the original contractors to sort this out so they're up there at the moment - hopefully repointing the ridges (subject of another thread). If you can picture one of those episodes from Rogue Traders where you have a guy with a bucket and a trowel dabbing away with some mortar the you'll not be far off it.

As for the 'photo. of the chimney ... "Nah Guv the wind did that". Which I tried to explain couldn't possibly have done so. "Look I'm not going to argue, we clearly disagree but we'll sort it out anyway".

Hmmm - looks like it could be a few 'phone calls to Trading Standards after today as I'm not very confident that it will all work out OK in the end!!

Frazz :mad:

Well for what it's worth they've finished and disappeared into the sunset. Didn't even bother to knock to let me know they were done. The repointing job looks OK - I guess only time will tell.

As for the chimney - you decide :cry:

IMG_0142.jpg

Pathetic - but what do you expect from a bloke with a large hammer.

At least the birds shouldn't be able to get in!!

Frazz

I'm no expert, but to me it looks like they've used a flashing plate for a flat roof, not one for an inclined roof and tried to bodge it. Or it could just be the angle of the photo. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back