This green (Ed: Protection of the environment)

Who said it was? It was predicted though, wasn't it.
The end of the world has been predicted since life began.

It's not a mainstream science belief though.

There is a difference between realistic information and wild claims.

Sponsored Links
Climate change is not doubt coming about because of far too many people on the planet

2 billion in 1920
8 billion in 2020

and rising fast meaning the worlds resources are being used up faster

So why isn't the unsustainable population growth being mentioned / discussed ?
It is.

A lot of people are beginning to move from badly affected areas.

In the 70's an ice age was predicted by 2030

As said before, not a widely-made nor held prediction.

In the 70's........ countless predictions on 'peak oil'

We kept looking for oil though, and finding it: a mate of mine still makes a good living doing so.

we would all burn because of the hole in the ozone layer

So we stopped / reduced doing the things that were doing the damage.

The end of the world has been predicted since life began.

It's not a mainstream science belief though.

There is a difference between realistic information and wild claims.
Forty thousand years ago the world ended for Neanderthals.
Planet Earth kept on turning.
How long do you think Homo Sapiens has left?

Sponsored Links
Forty thousand years ago the world ended for Neanderthals.

You could just as well say that the world ended for the non-neanderthal too as, aboriginal people apart and iirc, all humans have around 2% neanderthal dna.

Climate change is not doubt coming about because of far too many people on the planet

2 billion in 1920
8 billion in 2020

Why does nobody discuss the ever growing world population?

Surely that’s the key behind reducing consumption of everything
Because people already bang on about it all the time.

There ya go. Africans don't have a jot of Neanderthal dna. Why is that?

To the best of my understanding, that neanderthal (dna? Traits? Species?) evolved after the first hominids left Africa.

I read a book on it many, many years ago and, while interesting, I found it difficult to follow.
I expect that current opinion is greatly different to that reported in the book.

To the best of my understanding, that neanderthal (dna? Traits? Species?) evolved after the first hominids left Africa.

I read a book on it many, many years ago and, while interesting, I found it difficult to follow.
I expect that current opinion is greatly different to that reported in the book.
The spread of humans out of Africa has a broadly accepted set of circumstances but discoveries made in the last 20 years have thrown a few more ideas in the ring which bear some thought. A 'new' Neanderthal skeleton hasn't been found for over 50 years but a discovery in the Altai mountains of Southern Siberia is probably the most important of them all. It amazes me they can extract ancient dna from the tip of a pinky and a tooth to reconstruct an individual who shares human and Neanderthal dna to prove a link between the species, but my question is where did the original Neanderthal emerge if they do not possess African dna?
If Hominids did evolve on the African continent then surely they'd share some of our dna?

2 billion in 1920
8 billion in 2020

Is it because TPTB (politicians). are scared of saying that you, the population, have to save more for your old age; (religious leaders) still praising big families rather telling people that big families - that's 2plus births - are crime against humanity!
The message isn't getting through quick enough!

More people need more food, energy, housing, waste disposal, medical care, transportation, Water! The earth has finite resources that are being consumed at an ever increasing rate.

Of course none of that was true at the time. It's just crap that people make up to ignore that modeling for climate change has been really accurate over the last 20 years.
So accurate that we don't have tropical climate in southern England and London is nowhere near the coast.
They can't even predict tomorrow's weather, let alone 20 years forecast.

2 billion in 1920
8 billion in 2020

Ask Bill Gates.
He's discussing it and trying to cull world population.

where did the original Neanderthal emerge if they do not possess African dna?

Neanderthals do not possess African dna?

Are you sure about that?

Just looking on Google, and research from c.2020 (Princeton, no less) says that even african populations have "surprising amounts of neanderthal dna".

My (presumption, for want of a better word. And I haven't researched it) is that

- hominids evolved in Africa
- some hominids left Africa (for Asia, and Europe)
- Asian population evolved distinct "neanderthal" dna changes
- some of Asian and European hominid populations migrated back together, and some interbreeding took place
- Neanderthals - as a distinct species - died out
- "modern" Europeans and Asians remained

All of the above is more plausible, when you consider that we're talking early hominid world population numbering in the thousands / tens of thousands, so speciation through geographical separation is much, much easier than in a more connected population.

The Princeton team leveraged the principle of IBD to identify Neanderthal DNA in the human genome by distinguishing sequences that look similar to Neanderthals because we once shared a common ancestor in the very distant past (~500,000 years ago), from those that look similar because we interbred in the more recent present (~50,000 years ago).
Previous methods relied on “reference populations” to aid the distinction of shared ancestry from recent interbreeding, usually African populations believed to carry little or no Neanderthal DNA. However, this reliance could bias estimates of Neanderthal ancestry depending on which reference population was used.
The Princeton researchers termed IBDmix a “reference free method” because it does not use an African reference population. Instead, IBDmix uses characteristics of the Neanderthal sequence itself, like the frequency of mutations or the length of the IBD segments, to distinguish shared ancestry from recent interbreeding. The researchers were therefore able to identify Neanderthal ancestry in Africans for the first time and make new estimates of Neanderthal ancestry in non-Africans, which showed Europeans and Asians to have more equal levels than previously described.

In addition to identifying Neanderthal ancestry in African populations, the researchers described two revelations about the origin of the Neanderthal sequences. First, they determined that the Neanderthal ancestry in Africans was not due to an independent interbreeding event between Neanderthals and African populations.
Based on features of the data, the research team concluded that migrations from ancient Europeans back into Africa introduced Neanderthal ancestry into African populations.

Sponsored Links
Back