Threatened by GW Plastics in Selsey Chichester.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
GW Plastics Ltd, Selsey, West Sussex.
I employed GW Plastics to fit New Facia and Soffit Capping
On my house back in late 2006, the work came with a 10 year guarantee, I was initially please with the work he done until 2 years ago when I went up into the loft one winter to discover that it was dripping with condensation, a problem that never existed before GW Plastics carried out the work.
After some research it was discovered that Mr Walsh had not put in enough soffit vents, which was not allowing the air to circulate around the loft.
Before GW Plastics carried out the work their was a continuous air vent grill all the way around the house but now there are only a few small round vents on each of the 4 sides, indeed one 10mtr side at the back of the house only has 4 round 70mm vents!
Regulations say that there should be 4 Vents every Meter.
I told Mr Walsh (the owner of GW Plastics) over a year ago about this problem and said that I would monitor it!
The problem returned the following year and in November 2010 I contacted Mr walsh again who said he would come round and fit some more vents as per the 10 year guarantee agreement.
I have been telephoning and writing to Mr walsh every week ever since and every time he said he would come round next week but never did, nor did he contact us to say he can’t make it.

On Tuesday 3/5/11 at 17:45pm I delivered a letter by car into the letterbox of GW Plastics home address at 35 West Street, Selsey, PO20 9AB, West Sussex, then got back into my car and started to drive away when the owner of the business a Mr Walsh was signalling for me to stop which I did and got out of the car to see what he had to say.
Mr Walsh told me to stop writing letters to him, I asked him why he keeps saying he is going to rectify the job he done but never turns up, his reply was because “I don’t like you” and then asked if he was going to rectify the work he has done and his reply was a blatant “no”, he then became very threatening and put is face very close to mine, when I asked “are you threatening me” he said “yes I am, what are you going to do about it”
I then turned around and got back into my car and drove home feeling very shaken and intimidated by this very aggressive man.
I am now very concerned and in fear of reprisals as he knows where my family and me live.

What should I do?
I have already reported him to Checkatrade with whom he is registered.

Sponsored Links
Contact the police if he has threatened you.

If you are of a strong disposition you could go down the legal route although how will a court know if the vents were there before or not? It will be your word aganist his.

Unless there is some weight behind your weekly letters he will not act upon them.

Frnakly its probably wise to put it down to experience and just get some vents put in the soffit.

Checkatrade will not give a hoot.

Would you want him to work on your house after the dealings you have had with him?

I think you should just put the vents in.

He's unlikely to seek retribution at this stage since he has said his piece and it's had the desired effect - to intimidate you into stopping sending him letters.

I would speak to the police they won't take any action but your complaint will be registered with them, phone a solicitor regardless of wether the vents were there before if the regs state 4 per meter then that's how it should be speak to trading standards and ring checkatrade everyday they charge enough money for their useless trade register make them work for it.

Sponsored Links
You could always post on a well known DIY website accounting your problems and generally giving his company and him a bad name, if nothing else that's bound to hurt his business if any of his customers read it :)

You could always post on a well known DIY website accounting your problems and generally giving his company and him a bad name, if nothing else that's bound to hurt his business if any of his customers read it :)

Interestingly when you Google 'gw plastics selsey' this page is the first result. :LOL:

Don't let him intimidate you, but now you certainly don't want him rectifying any problems. If you contact Trading Standards, they will contact GW and ask them to rectify, which could be awkward. The last (and only) person I shopped to TS wasn't best pleased about it! Even if nothing comes of it, there will be a record that somebody complained about that company, which could help anyone in the future who has any problems with him.

Even more damning.........if you google "Soffit selsey" this is in the first page of results.

sorry to hear you had this problem.
really i suggest you get the remedial ventilation fitted your self and put it down to experience.
its not worth getting annoyed about or unhealthy,really believe me life is for living.
good health and luck.

Thanks you everyone for your comments and advice.
Its been very helpful.
I just can not believe traders can treat their customers like that, all I wanted was him to put a few extra vents in, as my loft is dripping wet, I did nothing wrong, I was'nt rude to him in any way whats so ever!

I have also found these comments on google about him...

Never rectified snags.
Fitted fascias and soffits around my house. However, there were a couple of snags and despite numerous telephone calls and promises to return to fix the problems, he never did and never telephoned to tell me he was not keeping an agreed appointment. In the end I fixed the problems myself. It’s a shame because the vast majority of the work was of good standard, but his lack of reliability and poor communication is a problem and can affect the willingness to recommend him to others.

Not warranting his guarantee
My problem is trader not warranting his guarantee. I have been ringing him for the last eighteen months, and he keeps fobbing me off. The problem, leaking guttering at joints, not level and running one way. And I would like to stress he did not have to wait for his money. Customer in Bognor Regis.

So it appears that I am not the only person he's upset!

right him another letter and make sure he has to sign for it
just so he does not think you gone away also contact the poilce they will not do anything but atleast he will get a call from them
and finaly contact trading standers atleast then will start to be on their radar and also you never know your look try watch dog or some thing like that and you may get lucky
but be prepared to sort it out your self
and also rember to badmouth them at every chance

Contact the police. He has commited common assault as you feared violence. The police should at least investigate the report. However with no witnesses, CCTV its your word against his and nothing will come of it. The best you can hope for is it will scare the **** out of him having the old bill knock on the door. Having said that he sounds like a tosser so it probably wont bother him. Up to you whether you can be bothered with it

Oh dear the joys of forum replies.

First of all don't ring the police and don't contact a solicitor, you will only pi$$ him off to the point he will simply send his mate Dave to either hurt you, scratch your car or have a dump in your garden. the whole process could take months and months.

Forget about the whole thing and put it down to plain old bad luck. There is nothing worse than an ongoing situation causing stress and worry to you and your family over some 70mm vents costing 50p each.

It won't cost a fortune to have this work done from a local contractor. May I suggest over fascia vents (the equvalent to having a round vent every foot) Its more expensive but avoids seeing the cobwebby round vents.

Btw, your loft insulation is away from the eaves isn't it?

PS. The internet is a powerful tool. Post this on the Moneysavingexpert website too to help with the old Google results. ;)

EDIT: You can write a review on checkatrade http://www.checkatrade.com/GWPlastics/Monitors.aspx

and here:
http://www.touchportsmouth.com/business/list/bid/3154669

Oh dear the joys of forum replies.

First of all don't ring the police he will simply send his mate Dave to have a dump in your garden. the process could take months
Bloody hell is Dave constipated :mrgreen: Or does he return to scent mark his territory.

Checkatrade is a waste of time as it will only allow you to leave positive comments!
I tried to leave negotive but all I got was a complants procedure letter sent in the Post.
Its a very misleading website as consumers can only see good feedback!

Sponsored Links
Back