Three Phase question

Sponsored Links
Short answer, get a single phase instant hot water heater (that is suitably rated for where you are going to wire it into - unless your getting additional wiring done)

I would like to get a DBX18, My question is by the looks of it I can not install it as like you would say a 7kw shower as its a three phase unit. what would i need to do exactly?
Unless you have a 3-phase electricity supply (which is very unlikely if you live in an ordinary house) there would be no sensible or cost-effective way of installing it. If you want such a product, you need to find a single-phase one.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes aged with above, you can get single phase instant heaters up to about 11kw, so no need to worry about inverters etc.

Hi no i have a standard home consumer unit i was hoping they would be a way round it ie. maybe a separate RCD box and breaker, and no other unit if you look at the spec sheet can fill a bath. I want to take out my cylinder and header tank and replace with the DBX18.

Why not get a real boiler? can even get electric combi's if you don't have gas.

Hi no i have a standard home consumer unit i was hoping they would be a way round it ie. maybe a separate RCD box and breaker, and no other unit if you look at the spec sheet can fill a bath. I want to take out my cylinder and header tank and replace with the DBX18.
As has been implied, if you have an ordinary single-phase supply, then that's what you've got. The only option would be to get an electrical 'box of tricks' (an "inverter") to generate a 3-phase supply from your single-phase one - but I think you'd probably find the cost prohibitive, not to mention the additional complexity etc.

Also, do you understand how expensive hot water heating is (to run) - particularly if you want to "fill a bath" (such a device would fill 50 baths, if you had enough time and money!)?? Do you not have gas?

Kind Regards, John

Hi John,
Unfortunately there is no chance of my property having gas, I dont think the DEX has a quick enough heater to cope with a bath

You cannot install an 18kW water heater on a standard domestic electricity supply.

Even if you had 3 phase and installed one, you are still looking at 15 minutes or more to fill a bath to a moderate level. Even longer in the winter.

I want to take out my cylinder and header tank and replace with the DBX18.
What is wrong with the cylinder?

Has anyone tried putting two 11kw heaters in parallel? That would get you a good result, although you'd be taxing your incoming supply in most cases.

Unfortunately there is no chance of my property having gas, I dont think the DEX has a quick enough heater to cope with a bath
Fair enough - I have the same problem (no prospect of piped gas). However, oil, or even LPG, is cheaper than electricity for (real-time, 'peak rate') space heating or water heating.

What is your present set-up - are you using an immersion heater to provide hot water? If so, does it use off-peak electricity?

As for the bath, you're up against physics. No electric heater capable of working off a normal domestic electricity supply would be powerful enough fill a bath in a sensible period of time. Even a small gas combi would probably be around 30 kW.

Kind Regards, John

Has anyone tried putting two 11kw heaters in parallel? That would get you a good result, although you'd be taxing your incoming supply in most cases.
I think that 'taxing' is probably somewhat of an understatement! I don't think a DNO would be happy (i.e. would not give permission for such an arrangement - if they were asked, as they ought to be!).

Kind Regards, John

DBX18 can be connected to a single phase supply, but NOT a standard domestic install. Its around 78amps on a single phase, 26amp per phase if on separate phases. This is no good for a typical home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back