Tightening up an old Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I wonder if you lovely people could help me, we have an old tap on the bathroom sink and when you turn it on it becomes really wobbly and loose in your hand. I've included a picture to show the faulty tap.

In my experiences of taps in the past, I assumed that the white bit on the top would pop or screw off and there would be a screw inside that I need to tighten up. However I'd tried all kinds to remove the white bit and am starting to think its not meant to come off lol

Its not plastic, as i try to prise it up it just scratches and marks it.

Could anyone advise on what i need to do just to tighten it a little? its a house of a friend and they are not in a position to replace it at the moment but it makes them feel uneasy every time they use it.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
If the X shaped handle doesn't wobble when tap is turned off, it's not likely to be loose on its spline. So tightening the screw below wouldn't do anything. It's more likely to be wear in the head gear / spindle.

What bit wobbles?

Mostly those buttons come out either by screwing or levering as you have tried, problem is after years of use they get stuck in with scale and gunk!
You can try a descaler like Viakal or even white vinegar (not quite as good) wrap a rag or kitchen towel soak it in solution and leave overnight , that often works. If you have some rubber gloves try gripping the insert with them to try unscrewing.

hello, thanks for the replies, it’s the very top X shaped bit that you turn. When it’s fully off tight it doesn’t move, but when you open it slightly to let water run, it becomes very wobbly, but just that top X piece.

Sponsored Links
It's wear in the spindle,that's the vertical bit that the X shaped handle screws onto.

As above wear in the spindle, as long as it works just leave it alone (y) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back