Tile removal down to the brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

I've been stripping the bathroom back to nothing ready to get it completely re-fitted (by a professional).
On removing the tiles, I've been taking off chunks very powdery 'concrete'? It's just flaking away. I can scratch it just with a finger-nail. I can see patches of brickwork showing through. Will the wall need a layer of something other than plaster before the 'actual' plastering and is it something a plasterer would do as part of the job?
I've tried to be gentle with the tile removal, but it's just coming away with a lot of the tiles.

Thanks.

Neil

20190702_143435.jpg
20190625_134034.jpg

20190702_143501.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it is that loose you will need to take it all off.
This is how mine ended up!

I used tile backing board dot and dab with mechanical fixings for good measurerather than plastering it worked fine for me.

Attachments

• P1000382.JPG
    P1000382.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 249
  • P1000388.JPG
    P1000388.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 254
Thanks.

Your wall looks a lot smoother than mine. I presume they didn't care that much about mortar neatness, originally, as it was going to get plastered over, anyway. Cost-wise... worth getting the board or just paying someone to re-plaster the walls? I've been wheezing for the past few days. Think I've swallowed too much dust. Note to self: Must get better-fitting masks. LOL!

Thanks again.

If it is that loose you will need to take it all off.
This is how mine ended up!

I used tile backing board dot and dab with mechanical fixings for good measurerather than plastering it worked fine for me.

Sponsored Links
Best to get a quote plastering will be less effort for you. I wanted to insulate the cold bathroom so used Marmox insulated tile board. I can recommend the force 8 mask from screwfix / Toolstation. I finished by angle grinding with an abrasive disc to clean the walls I could not see more than a couple of feet but the dust mask was great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back