Tiler charging extra at end of job diamond pattern tiling??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My builder is just about finishing a retile of my two bathrooms. He's laid 24 square metres of 10cm x 10cm tumbled marble with 17 square metres of bull nose dado. He's done a great job.

However he's now asking an extra £520 because I asked him to tile in a diamond pattern above the dado rail.

For both bathrooms this adds up to an area of 4.39 metres square in a diamond pattern but he claims that to create this diamond pattern has taken an extra weeks work.

This seems ridiculous and calculates to £117 per square metre extra ontop of the money I've already paid to have them tiled anyway.

62 tiles have been cut in half and rotated 45 degrees. Is that worth £520 extra?

When I specified the diamond pattern nothing was mentioned about an increase in cost or difficulty and had I know it was going to be such an increase I would have just kept the tiles horizontal.

Putting aside that I didn't authorise the increased cost, I've built a good relationship with him (so I thought) and would like to use him again on other projects in the future. I don't wish to fall out but is he justified to ask for more or is he just trying it on?

Thanks. Appreciate your comments.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
it is fiddly and extra work, but personally i'd expect confirmation that its going to be extra. depends on your agreement with him really??

simple answer is, its a little bit more work, not a lot. he defo should not be asking for that kind of money, after all he won have bought extra materials or whatever. Honestly it wont have taken him much longer to do than if it was straight set instead of diagonal.

"When i specified the diamond pattern". So you specified a variation in the original agreement?

Variations typically cost. That's common building sense.

However, at that time, was any mention made by the builder as to increased costs?
If nothing was said, then, technically, i suppose the builder, by his silence, made a new agreement with you.

FWIW: In fairness, the builder should be compensated for the variation and the extra work.
Why not approach him in a calm manner and say that you would like to discuss the matter - have a figure in mind that seems fair to both sides, but first hear him out.

Sponsored Links
Seen the better pics on the other forum site....

Don't pay him till you are happy with the work...

Ps.....
That's probably the worst tiling job...I have ever seen.....

Totally shocking....

Ps

Just for clarification the diamond formation drops about an inch on the oppiste walls....really really shocking work....

....and the dado mitres are even worse....

Again shocking work....

tictic - Now you have pointed it out i can see it in these pictures...bloody awful!

Yes, I've posted elsewhere. I want to be fair to the guy. His other work has been spot on. I'm gutted. Clearly he struggled with this but I wish he'd told me before continuing as the dado cost £450 and by all accounts it's ruined.

I wanted an opinion from professional tilers, builders and DIY enthusiasts to try ascertain what is an acceptable standard.

The response has been pretty conclusive.

This is what I'm dealing with.....

When I posted it was before he finished and it was covered in grout. I expected this to be cleaned off and look nice underneath. He finished Monday.

I didn't realise this was actually his finished result.

Arambol

You will need to get your builder show him the work,and ...tell him..your not happy with the work at all...

Ask him to redo the whole work,at his cost....if not you will have to get an independent report done and claim off the builders insurance company.

Hope you get it sorted out.

JESUS H CHRIST,thats friggin awful.
gutting for you m8.
how the guy has the minerals to even think he deserves to be paid let alone charging you extra for that amount of POO.

as i suggested on the other forum pliers are not the best tool to miter with
or at least it looks like he used pliers :eek: :eek:

They have just been to the house and they have acknowledged that it needs redoing.

The builder will remove the side panels of the diamond pattern above the dado in both bathrooms and retile with the correct wrap around the corner. He said he can do it but if necessary a tiler will be brought in.

The more I think about it, is it going to be possible to pick up the wrap from the back wall by cutting new tiles to fit?
My understanding is that the actual cut off of the same tile should be the next piece laid on the adjoining wall. Is it going to be a nightmare to try and cut the right size shape to create the wrap now we don't have the original cut offs?

Also the dado externals will be removed and mitred properly

The internal dado corners will have the grout removed and a special resin to match the marble to create a clean neat corner. Does this sound right?

I have no experience with this and I don't want a repeat situation where it looks poor again.

I want want to keep him as a builder and work with him on new projects, so I don't want to jeopardise the relationship. His building work is great so if it's not going to work I don't want him to waste his time.

I do want to give him the chance to fix this…. but could the fix he's talking about be done even by an experienced tiler?

Thanks guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back