tiles on existing chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
offered a job to in mates house, 11 years old.one bathroom and one ensuite both about 3 metres square,
remove carpet and lay ceramic 300 x 300 tiles.
the subtrate is green chipboard which i wont tile onto.
do i use backaboard or overlay with WBP .not keen to take up existing floor but i will if necessary. i intend to move both toilet and pedestal basin in each room to tile under and that will leave the bath or shower tray in the respective rooms.suppose when i do that it isn,t that much trouble to take up chipboard and replace with WBP, except for shower tray/bath.
so after subtrate sorted ,seal with primer, flexible powdered addy, lay tiles.
would you seal tiles and if so when?, before you lay them?
any advice, thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
IF theres no deflection in the floor then backer board will be fine. Your right not to tile onto green chip - nowt sticks to it.

Make sure you prime as per the backerboard manufacturers intructions and dont just use PVA.

You dont have to seal ceramic tiles.

Personally I won’t tile even over boarded chipbut your call; I would replace the floor with 18-25mm WBP; thickness you need depends on floor joist size/pitch/span. Fix into joists ever 200mm, seal the back & edges with SBR primer before lying & support any cut edges with noggins. Use only quality trade tiling products not cheap DIY, it’s generally crap ; only prime if addy manufacture recommends it; not usual with powder addy.

Read tiling sticky & forum archive posts for more info.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back