Tiling a Wet Room for the first time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our new extension we have the shell of a wet room 1.8m x 1.7m.
In it will be a WC and washbasin. We have NuHeat UFH installed with the floor screeded forming a dip towards the pipe that will be the drainage for the shower. The drainage pipe is a good 45cm away from any wall and the floor always sloping towards the pipe.
Now, what should I really be doing before tiling? I have purchased mosaic tiles for the floor and will be using flexible waterproof adhesive and have standard wall tiles with a waterproof adhesive. The floor tiles are natural stone and will need to be sealed when finished.
Do I need any preparation for the floor such as coating it with watered down Unibond? Do I tile the floor first or the walls?
Any help will be appreciated as I have never tackled a wet room before.

Sponsored Links
never unibond(pva) no matter what else you do.
How long has the screed been down, and what adhesive have you already purchased?

The screed has been down about 9 months as we diverted our attentions to jobs outside. I have purchased a flexible adhesive suitable for UFH from Topps Tiles.

floor with ufh..imo you will want to use an insulation board,then put your ufh onto this, then put a latex slc over the wires.
the floor tiles mosaic what size are they? you need to be carefull with them if less than 50mm for point loading...
you say natural stone tiles, the adhesive will need to be white on colour.

only waterproof grout and adhesive is epoxy..

to be honest mate,if this is your first time tiling...then do a bit more research...you only get one pop at doing it right.

Sponsored Links
The UFH has already been laid on insulation board with a final 100mm screed on top. NuHeat gave very good instructions for installation. It is the warm water type connected to the central heating. I have done lots of tiling in the past but wish to know if I should be doing anything specific as this is a wet room. For example, some people are telling me I should lay the floor tiles first and before I start the wall tiles I should be putting a bead of silicome along the edge of the floor tiles as I apply each bottom wall tile.
These are the sort of tips I am looking for. I am sure there are DIY ers out there who have attempted this with great success, some of whom may have made mistakes, and I would like to pick your brains. Thank you for your replies.

ok mate...on my phone so bear with me,not that good with the phone.
first has the ufh been commissiond to mfr spec.
the fall/gradient what is it 14mm or higher.
what tiles are you using and size off them wall and floor
what materials have you got type and brands.

you will fix to wall first,but leave the bottom course off.
then the floor tiles will you be enveloping the floor tiles at the fall

prime the floor with sbr or other acrylic primer

what are the walls made off
might want to look into ditra matting also for floor

All commissioned to spec.
Ceramic wall tiles
50mm stone mosaics for floor
Walls are mortar rendered
I would prefer to just prime the floor with a good quality primer ( any recommendations?) than using matting.
This is a room that will not be used very often. We have decided to have a wet room primarily as it will be ideal for showering our Labrador when he's been in the mud rather than taking him to the shower in the bathroom where the tray could easily scratch.
Why do you tile the walls first and leave the bottom course off?

sbr or apd primer or mapie primer g
use it up floor then when dry across the room

leave bottom course off then tile floor then fix bottom course
what adhesive and grout have got and colour are they.
what sealer for the mosiac also.

ps that's one lucky dog... I don't treat my kids as good as that lol

also mate I would look into am epoxy grout for the floor...
its going to get really bad if using it for dog.
use Dow corning silicone at corners and around bottom course off tiles at floor.leaving at least 2/5mm gap

Thank you tictic.Have not bought the grout yet but have Topps rapid set flexible adhesive in white for floor and BAL Grip adhesive for walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back