Tiling adhesive / grout recommendations please

Sponsored Links
So I went into topps today to have a nosey. I asked if they sell the rapidset flex in white and was pointed towards bal natural stone product ......which supposedly is what bal renamed the white stuff to!!

No it’s not been renamed at all. Your Topps local stockist either don’t stock/haven’t got white Rapidset Flex & are just pointing you to another very expensive & lucrative product for them which they have in stock & is compatible. But if your not laying natural stone it’s OTT; I’m sure I haven’t missed what type of tile your laying but if just ceramic or porc, you don’t need that high a spec addy & if you told them, they are ripping you off!

Why do you think you need white addy anyway? It comes at a premium price, what tiles do you have?

No it’s not been renamed at all. Your Topps local stockist either don’t stock/haven’t got white Rapidset Flex & are just pointing you to another very expensive & lucrative product for them which they have in stock & is compatible. But if your not laying natural stone it’s OTT; I’m sure I haven’t missed what type of tile your laying but if just ceramic or porc, you don’t need that high a spec addy & if you told them, they are ripping you off!

Why do you think you need white addy anyway? It comes at a premium price, what tiles do you have?

It was just a general question I asked them whilst browsing i.e. "did they have the rapidset flex in white", I knew as soon as she said that she was wrong as I have had a detailed look on the Bal website over the last few days.

I thought I read that elsewhere in the forum you should use the same addy as the intended grout colour....is that not the case then?

I know you said to avoid Topps but I just went in for a general browse and the retail prices online aren't that much difference once you take into account delivery and the convenience of it being 5 minutes from my house.

Sponsored Links
if the tiles are ceramic or porclain then go for..
bal spf or weber spf...
and their acrylic primer from what ever mfr you go with.

if stone tiles,.. then a white RAPIDSET( so you dont get any bleeding through the tile)..

Having removed a couple of tiles around the basis today I soon came to the conclusion it is almost impossible to do without replacing the plasterboard. :(

I have a feeling this job will be too big for me :cry:

That’s not unusual but it’s not too big a deal & gives you the chance to replace the PB with something more suitable; either MR or waterproof tile backer board, depending on where it is.

I use a lump hammer, cold & bolster chisels. But if the plasterboard starts to come away in chunks with the tiles to any great degree, you might as well rip the lot down & re-board. Its usually far quicker, doesn’t cost much more & you have the benefit of a nice flat base for the new tiles.

i assume the technique is to try and get the chisel behind the tile.

I have a pro coming round during the week for a quote so it will be interesting to see what they quote. Is somewhere between £30 - £40 per m2 about right?

i assume the technique is to try and get the chisel behind the tile.
Yes.
I have a pro coming round during the week for a quote so it will be interesting to see what they quote. Is somewhere between £30 - £40 per m2 about right?
Beware; don’t just get one quote, get as many as you can. Many will say they are pro’s but it’s not always the case. Ask for references & to see some previous work & ask questions about what materials they are using & what prep will be done! Difficult to give a definitive answer on cost as it depends on many factors; straight tiling = £25-£35 sq/m depending on local “stuff” which can only be determined by looking at the job but that won’t include putting up plasterboard, leveling, filling etc.

Nobody is going to do anything for less than a days work so start around £180 + materials. The price will then increase depending on sq/m & how much other prep work is involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back