Tiling brick bond with bevelled tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm coming to the end of my kitchen renovation and just the tiling to do.

I have decided to use the metro bevelled wall tiles. I ahve done some tiling before but not using bevelled tiles and not in brick bond effect.

Can anyone give me any tips regarding the internal and external corners as when the tiles are cut there will be no bevelled edge. How do you get the corners looking right?

I have already set out the walls so I don't have small cuts in the corners.
The window reveal is probably the worst as the bottom horizontal edge will be bevel to beval but the two sides will not.

Many thanks for anyones help.

Sponsored Links
Its a challenge that i've never seen overcome well. on an external corner use a trim thats deep enough for the unbevelled section.

To be honest just take your time on the grout job, the bevell is only usually 2mm (well it is on the ones we sell) so a good grout job can cover a multitude of sins.

What size metro have you bought?

Thanks tpt.
I have not bought the tiles yet, but it is the 200x100mm cream metro tiles that I was looking at. I think these are 8mm thick at the centre.

Is it best to use a tile spacer next to the trim or not when doing these?
Also is it best in the internal corners to scribe the tile to the tile on the adjacent wall, like when doing skirting board, or just cut straight and fill with grout?

Many thanks for any more tips.

7.5mm but an 8mm trim is perfect.

Personal preference but i wouldn't use a spacer. the window is the pig to get looking nice, set out carefully around it before you start.

dont scribe them, just straight cut, keep all the cuts in a nice straight line and take your time with the grout, it will look fine, its a deceptively small bevel!

Not sure what you have been quoted but we do them for £15.50m2 inc vat. delivery depends on where you are.

Sponsored Links
ads - I did a very large kitchen with Metros in a brick pattern about 4 years ago and had the very same issues, but with multiple external & internal angles (ducts, pillars, wall corners, and window). As much as I tried with a 'dry' layout terminating with bevels in edging trims just didn't look right. The solution was to ensure that ALL that was contained within edging trims were cuts; also internal angles were also cuts. It all meant careful layout so, for example, the internal corner interface was cut and the tile entering the vertical trim at the window was a cut BUT both end tiles were the SAME length. It always meant that each bevel was removed at the ends of each course ... one course just the bevel was nicked-off the next course half (approx) a tile, and so on.

Avoid the problem at the base of the window by not tiling the sill but install either a wooden sill or a PVC one if you've got a plakka window. IMO tiled sills look horrible as the grout lines WILL get dirty in a very short period of time ... and you can never get them to clean up well. If you are tiling the whole height of the wall (as I did) then at the top of the window (head) attempt to remove the bevel at trim.

The aim is where the tiles enter any trims remove the bevels. Yep, you'll still have the the grout line at the trims but they'll look fine.

Ensure the trims accommodate the full thickness of the tile and not the bevelled size.

Thanks TPT,
That is cheaper than I have been quoted, but i guess depends on the delivery. Which would probably take it over the £20 a box I can get them for locally.

Symptoms,
Thanks for your advise. Only tiling up to around half the window height. All tiles in to corners are cuts except around the soil pipe which has been boxed in. The boxing is exactly the right size for the tile so was not going to cut these, but obviously to continue the brick bond pattern there will be cuts on adjacent rows. So this could be tricky! The base of the window reveal was going to be tiled but I take on board your comment and may do this differently now. Other corners should be fine.

I guess I will have to do the best I can. Trouble is I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, so it could take me a while! :D

Another question, what is the best adhesive / grout to use on these on a plastered brick wall. Newly plastered but painted with a watered down coat of paint.

Cheers for the help guys. Much appreciated.

possibly will. for essex we charge 29.95 delivery so it depends how many metres you need. we do have all sorts of offers etc on adhesive and all that so i you want to give me your full shopping list i can give you a price inc delivery - should be cheaper unless your only wanting 2 or 3 m2

Thanks, not sure how much trim I need yet. One length may be enough, need to measure later.
But will need 5m2 of tiles, trim, adhesive and grout. Not sure which of these to use either.

Cheers
Ads

i'd use granfix multifix and granfix hygenic maxi grout. the multifix is self priming and can be used onto new, properly dried plaster. its about £5 dearer than standard.

£127.39 for 5m2 tiles, 10ltr multifix adhesive & 5kg grout. delivered.

we charge 3.99 for a 2.4 trim.

you'll need a voucher code if you want to proceed as i've knocked an extra tenner off delivery.

Thanks TPT.
Just working out the last few bits, cuts etc, to make sure I have enough tiles etc and I'll get back to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back