Tiling for newbie .. cuts 46mm at each end ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am tiling a splashback to the kitchen. the window wall has two corners (surprise surprise) .. one that is very visible when you walk in to the room and the other, not so much .. anyway the food processor is in the corner.

Measuring the length and having cuts at each end would mean having 45mm cuts.

I am using 200 x 100 tiles and am thinking ... start with a full tile (or half-tile) on the visible side, then have a 90mm piece in the far corner .. is this sensible ?

Also, the left-hand wall (finished now) has a full 200mm tile at the bottom layer, next to the 'visible' window corner. Do i start with another full tile, or a half tile

many thanks !

Sponsored Links
There are always two options for even cuts at the corners of the room. You can start with a grout line in the centre of the wall or you can start with the centre of a tile at the centre of the wall. If one of these options gives horrible little cut pieces in the corners the other option will give bigger cut pieces in the corners.

Experiment with the set out by standing tiles along the worktop with spacers in between to see what gives the best layout.

If the tiles come above the window ledge also think about any horrible little cuts up the sides of the window.

Spend time getting the layout correct before you cut or fix anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back