tiling mats/mesh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i've put my diy hat back on after almost a year off (after finishing my extension). Sadly though, it seems i've put it on backwards, as i'm making a mess of my kitchen tiling.

I'm not a pro (as you've guessed by now), but i have done 2 kitchens and a bathroom before to a standard that even i was pleased with, so not a complete noob.

This time though, we bought some pretty expensive 305x305mm tile mats. You know? the ones that are made up of 30 little 50x50 tiles all glued to a backing mesh (like scrim) to 'allegedly' make it easier to fit as a single tile rather than 30 individual tiles?
Well...bugger that!

Ok, first off, i mixed half a 20kg bag of adhesive, and about 30 mins later it went off in the bucket and set solid. I've only got 10kg left to cover 3.5sqm. Wish i'd bought a ready-mixed adhesive tub
This is the 1st time using tile mats, as it were, and i'm finding putting them up quite taxing. I'm used to dot'n'dabbing (rightly or wrongly) wall tiles on, as its easier, less messy and uses less adhesive. Obviously can't do that with these mats.
I've been offering them up to the wall on the back of my plastering trowel to allow me to apply even pressure across all 30 little tiles. I didn't think i'd applied the adhesive too thick at all, yet it squeezes through the grouting gaps and comes out the front, leaving very little room left for the actual grout.

Can anyone advise me on the best way to put these darned things on the wall please before i lose all 'bedroom rights' with the mrs? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
why not just clean the joints out, then you got plenty room for ya grout

Well with the few tiles i put up, i started to do that with a knife, but my god it was laborious and that was for less than 25% of what needs to go on the wall.....so i gave it up on it.

use a smaller notched trowel..3mmx3mm or 4mmx4mm..then the addy shouldnt come out that much..
use your grout squeegy to patt the sheets to the wall,if your not tanking walls then you can use panel pins to hold the sheets in place.
also use a fast setting powdered addy..bal mosiacfix etc..

Sponsored Links
Ok, finished the tiling. I've grouted one wall, by god that was hard work.
Why do i struggle so much with grouting? I couldn't find my grouting float so i had to use one of them plasplugs generic adhesive spreader/grout applicator things.
I've used half the bag for less than 40% of the total area needed to be grouted.

I've let it dry overnight (rightly or wrongly) as last time i grouted, when i wiped down the tiles, the grout in the gaps hadn't dired and so got wiped away too.

The tiles are natural stone ones, can i used scotch brite (green/white scourers) to remove the excess dried grout from the surface of the tiles?

I know i've probably given myself a harder job by leaving it overnight, but i was cream crackered when i finished last night and CBA'd to do anymore.

Ok, finished the tiling. I've grouted one wall, by god that was hard work.
Why do i struggle so much with grouting? I couldn't find my grouting float so i had to use one of them plasplugs generic adhesive spreader/grout applicator things.
I've used half the bag for less than 40% of the total area needed to be grouted.

I've let it dry overnight (rightly or wrongly) as last time i grouted, when i wiped down the tiles, the grout in the gaps hadn't dired and so got wiped away too.

The tiles are natural stone ones, can i used scotch brite (green/white scourers) to remove the excess dried grout from the surface of the tiles?

I know i've probably given myself a harder job by leaving it overnight, but i was cream crackered when i finished last night and CBA'd to do anymore.

use the white scotchbrite, its less abrasive

Kjacko

Sound advice from jctilingservices and tictic.

I think that the mosaic trowel that tictic referred to is something like this....
http://www.uktilingtools.co.uk/ekmps/shops/smiths/images/rst-trowel-tiling-tools.gif.......these trowels are designed to give a good "grab" to hessian backed mosaics that come on a sheet. You also have a minimum of tile adhesive that reaches the surface of the tile.....and only cost a bit more than a fiver.

It sounds like the consistency of your grout was either too wet or too dry. It should be whipped cream, not sloppy neither stiff and should spread easily into the voids of the mosaics with ease ( find your grouting float !!!)

Only grout an area which you can handle...2 or 3 m2 ?........then sponge off as soon as the grout starts to "Cake up"....30-40mins using a circular motion with your sponge.

A bit more prep work will save you a lot of time and hard work.

All the best with the rest of your tiling...........earlier this year I used the same tiles on this project......

http://woodovenukforum.forumup.co.u...storder=asc&highlight=&mforum=woodovenukforum

Terry (C.F)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back