Tiling on Emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just had a kitchen extension and new kitchen put in . .almost all done bar the tiling.

When the old kitchen was taken out I jumped in and put a matt emulsion on the walls. I've read on the forum that tiling on emulsion is a no-no and that it has to be sanded down in order for the tile adhevsive to bond.

However some old boy we got out for a quote just said that he'd PVA over the emulsion and that there wouldnt be a problem with the adhesive. Is this correct? From what i read the emulsion has to be removed.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
As long as the emulsion is sound, there shouldnt be a problem.
You can always try sticking some tape to the wall if it pulls the paint off, then you may have a problem.

As DIY says put a strip of tank/duct tape firmly on the wall, leave for 20mins, if the paint comes off with the tape then you need to scrape all the loose paint off.

PVA onto the paint will have no useful effect, if its going to fail then it will be the bond between plaster & paint that goes not adhesive & paint.

Did you dilute the first coat of emulsion onto the new plaster? if not you may have problems.

Jason

Hi - thanks for the replies. I didnt dilute the emulsion paint so think i may have a problem. Will try the test with the sellotape to see if i need to remove it or not before the tiles go on the wall.

BTW - whats the best way to remove - chemical (paint remover) or sanding it down?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Don't use chemicals, either sand it off preferably with a power sander or scrape it off with a decent scraper, something like this

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back