Tiling under bath and shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After working on our new build for around 5 years we now just have one bathroom left to go -hurray! But have just been let down by the installer we have been waiting 3 months for -boo!

Husband has decided to do some of the work himself and I just wanted to ask advice about how he intends to proceed in a couple of areas. Any help or opinions gratefully received.

1) Bath -we have a heavy limestone bath with waste already plumbed in. I think this plumbing was done from below when the house was still being built. The bath is propped up on two batons and the idea was that we could slide tiles under the bath into the gap. We want to put backer board on the floor and then tile so all this will be tight and fiddly. Will this approach even work? Is there a tool we could use to jack the bath up further without damage? Should we just try and move the bath?

2) Shower - We have a floating floor made out of tonge and groove chipboard which was suitable for the underfloor heating in the rest of the room (none under shower). Husband thinks this will be too flexible to ensure no movement of 1400x900 shower tray and is proposing removing boards and building a timber frame on which to sit the tray. Is this overkill?

I hope these make sense. I know they aren't very technical questions but its so easy to overlook something when planning diy. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back