Tiling

• Thread starter Johnmelad502
  • Start date
Err - no - I'm confusing the BS EN 60238 exemption with something which doesn't exist. :oops:

I thought all E27 lampholders had to be wired with the outer contact neutral. :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
OK so I should read threads thoroughly :oops: The tiler's still being asked to do electrical work though, aint he? Ah well - I'm sure it'll all be reet. I'll bet the whole place's wiring will be investigated, every circuit altered will be brought up to current regs, there'll be a PIR etc etc etc ;)

OK BAS, if you insist.....

As far as I'm aware a modern E14 or E27 lampholder has been designed to avoid the use of a metallic outer screw thread for an ES lamp. Which means that the L&N contacts are both buried deep within the recess, making that type exempt from the Regulation which requires the outer connection to be the Neutral.

Perhaps you'd care to check with the Regs?

Oh well, perhaps I'll spell it out for you:

" (ii) Except for E14 and E27 lampholders to BS EN 60238, in circuits having an earthed neutral conductor centre contact"..... etc etc blah blah blah.........

Sponsored Links
Well, if it disturbs you that much BAS dear, please accept my apology, as we two haven't fallen out in so many years. we've had the odd skirmish - but never a battle........

Easter blessings,

Lucia x

Where is your evidence that he has put lives at risk, where has he skimped to save?

Well - all those photos you've posted that show he has previously employed tradesmen of the dangerously-incompetent-cowboy variety! And the fact that, no disrespect to your abilities, he's asking his tiler to sort out the mess.

It might be a good laugh, but that electrical installation could easily kill somebody. One of your photos shows it nearly has. This guy needs to wake up. You don't have the qualifications/insurance etc to take responsibility for what you're being asked to do.

You have not been reading the previous posts have you? So many assumptions...

1. The current owner only moved in on Monday.
2. I started work on Tuesday.
3. As stated, the spark starts next Tuesday.
4. Guests due to arrive on the 19th have been cancelled.
5. I am not a tiler.

Instead of the negative criticism, how about some constructive advice. So far I found the botch jobs, people on here gave me advice, I passed it on to the owner and he took it on board.

More of the same would be appreciated. Thank you.

Well, if it disturbs you that much BAS dear, please accept my apology
Oh - it's not that I'm disturbed or looking for an apology - I was just surprised that you felt you needed to demonstrate, not once but twice, that you'd completely failed to read what I'd written.... :LOL:

So what was under the wet area ?

And if you have anymore questions I'm sure help will follow.

I take it PoD is an ex of BAS, since there's only 5 posts and references to years of banter ?

She's joined us from the Dark Side.

How are things over on the Screwdup Forums, Ms Fermi?

John,
as you have realised, (apart from the inter banter, :LOL: ), we are just trying to help and advise you. There is nothing personal against you in these answers, we are just trying to point out the pitfalls.
Good luck with the job.

And, John,
we have no constructive work to do on an Easter weekend so we'll take a pop at anything that moves, or is stationary :LOL:

Yes BAS, it seems that I did misread your reply. However, I had no sense of your meaning from the actual text - but rather in hindsight, from your use of those emoticons - and only now begin to understand those beastly little cave-drawings.......

At least you have a clearer picture regarding E27 lampholders as a result.
It's certainly true that all ES lampholders, in the past, had to have the neutral connected to the outer thread. But this was due to that thread being metallic. A modern E27 has a 'plastic' thread so both L & N contacts are deep within the base.

'How are things' - you ask - on the Screwforums? Well, we've had a jolly good spring-clean there. We've cut out all the dead wood and the undesirables. So, we now have only thoroughly decent people with sound knowledge and Christian morals........................

I very much regret that you no longer post there and I know that others also miss you.

Lucia.

AFAIR, regardless of the regs regarding ES lampholders, the manufacturer's instructions for these insulated lampholders give instructions stating the line be connected to the centre contact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back