Tiling

• Thread starter Johnmelad502
  • Start date
J

Johnmelad502

Started a job today that should keep me in work for a couple of weeks. I will be tiling the front entrance hallway through to the kitchen and then tiling the kitchen floor. Will also be fitting new kitchen cabinets and then tiling the walls.

This is a guest house that has just been purchased and the first new guests will be arriving on 19 April so have my work cut out.

When I removed the kitchen cabinets I then removed the tiles and found this.

OK so wires came out when I pulled the plate away, except this happened to four of eight sockets I removed.

I am not a spark but would like to know what the professionals think of what I have found so far and what the owners legal liabilities are.

Sponsored Links
:eek: Safe zones............

...and sadly, it doesn't look as if it would have been that difficult for someone with half an ounce of electrical knowledge to run that cable within the prescribed zones, even with the accessories in their current positions.

Sponsored Links
Electrocution is death by electricity. Ignorant b'stards... :rolleyes:

Electrocution is death by electricity. Ignorant b'stards... :rolleyes:

Not necessarily.

From the Oxford English Dictionary Online:

electrocution, n.
1. Execution by means of a powerful electric current; an instance of this.
2. Death or injury caused by electric shock.

Might mean losing the job but cover your arse by telling the owners they NEED a Periodic Inspection Report doing by a qualified spark before you carry on with this part of the tiling.
If something happens at a later date and it transpires you knew about the wiring being 'dodgy' you may be held partly liable.

Golden rule: Cover your back!

And this is what can happen as a direct consequence of the sort of wiring you have uncovered..

http://www.emconline.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3042281

A powerful arguement for Part P, IMHO.
Not really.

1) Part P was done & dusted before that sad event.

2) Fatalities from fixed wiring are so rare that the % reduction Part P is supposed to bring about cannot justify it. And could never be proven anyway, as it's well below the level of normal statistical variation...

Further to my comment about cowboys,just replaced two bathroom lights, one had four cables comming in and earth wires twisted together,other had earth wire sleeved in red and used as common live, no earth connected to light. Apparently been that way for over six years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back