Tiling

• Thread starter Johnmelad502
  • Start date
ban all sheds, those were very good links, i'm a plumber so not sure if i missed it in the links but can someone clarify whether it is ok to run cables at an angle between high level switched spur and low level socket if it is covered by metal capping? our sparks are doing this everywhere on a kitchen renewal contract and we are moaning that we need to keep an eye on the plasterers patching before we drill for cooker bayonets and security chains

Sponsored Links
NO - metallic capping is not adequate mechanical protection. If a cable is ran out of a safe zone then the cable must be protected by earthed mechanical protection eg steel conduit.
Your kitchen fitters are breaching regulations and are susceptable to prosecution if there were an accident due to their negligence.
Even normal pvc cables ran in safe zones now must be protected by a 30mA RCD if buried at a depth of less than 50mm.

It doesn't sound too good, metal capping is usually only used for protecting against the plasterers trowel.
Wires should run horizontally or vertically between accessories - ricicle linked to the wiki with a nice pictorial view before: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls
Running diagonally across a wall isn't allowed unless the cable is deeper than 50mm, it is a cable type such as SWA or pyro, the cable is in conduit or trunking (to the relevent BS) or it has sufficient protection to prevent penetration of a screw or nail.

bah - beaten by ricicle!

Basically, however unwelcome the news will be, that property will NOT be ready for occupation on the 19th unless they get an electrician in tomorrow to sort out the cabling whilst you tile the hall and/or you all work over Easter.

Sponsored Links
Today we found...

Some lucky driller but worse still, the wires were only chased in to below the skim coat.

It's just getting worse and worse, isn't it....

Just below skim depth isn't a problem, per se, you need to go down to over 50mm if you want to run cables anywhere you like.

Were these cables in a recognised zone?

I really cannot repeat my earlier advice too strongly - they must stop now and get an electrician to check everything, not just the kitchen, because whatever f***wit did that can't be trusted not to have done the same elsewhere.

And you should not be part of any covering up of a dangerous electrical installation.

You might like to consider this old saying, and pass it onto the owners:

If you think safety is expensive, try having an accident.

The 13mm ply arrived today so I started laying this in the kitchen. The boss asked me to have a look at a light fitting (very old fashioned) on the first floor landing that was not working and replace with a new one.

It was not working because the live and earth had become detached!!!!

This is what it detached from...

Why is your boss asking you check out light fittings when you are there to tile. Is he picking up further work on site for a few quid and getting you to sort out stuff not within your remit? Take Bas's advice and tell your boss you know ***k all about electrics as you will slowly get sucked into to bigger and bigger issues in the future.

Why is your boss asking you check out light fittings when you are there to tile. Is he picking up further work on site for a few quid and getting you to sort out stuff not within your remit? Take Bas's advice and tell your boss you know ***k all about electrics as you will slowly get sucked into to bigger and bigger issues in the future.

He's paying me by the hour, so don't care what work he has me do/look at. Of course I will never touch gas or infringe Part P. Am fitting an outside tap next week.

As a guest house you will also have local licensing to contend with. Are you competent to be carrying out electrical work?
You might not care now but you will care when you and your boss are being sued for negligence should you do something wrong.

yes, johnmelad, you do really care because you would not post here if you did not give a toss. If I paid you £20.00 per hour to rob a petrol station, would you do it?

Are you a skilled tiler?

If so then tile!

If you are employed as an 'odd-job' man then do the odd jobs but for Gods sake DON'T TOUCH electrics or gas! This is not having a go at you, all the advice you have been given is for your benefit.

By all means if you spot something which looks wrong then bring it to the attention of your boss/supervisor but DON'T be coerced/forced into trying to put it right if you don't have the skills and certification!

If it turns out that someone gets hurt because you have tried to do something right that you are not qualified to do then it is no defence to say "I was only doing what the boss told me to do."

One of my jobs over the years has been to repair welding sets and diesel generators. I would do the electrical work but NOT the diesel side of things, simply because I wasn't qualified. I picked up a fair bit of knowledge but still wouldn't work on that side of the apparatus. That was for another tradesman to do.

If you are employed as an 'odd-job' man then do the odd jobs but for Gods sake DON'T TOUCH electrics or gas! .

I am self employed so don't really have a boss, the boss I referred to is the property owner who hired me. A previous poster seemed to think that I was working on a quote and accepting other work outside of the quote hence my reply that it did not matter how much extra work I was asked to look at or do, as I had negotiated an hourly rate.

I have stated that I am not a spark but I do consider myself competent enough to change a light fitting, a plug or replace a socket etc.

The wiring (photos uploaded) in the kitchen will be sorted next week by a spark hired by the property owner as suggested by me having taken advice from this site.

Sorry, but I can't afford to turn down electrical work that I can competently and legally do, even in a guest house. I know my limitations and do not cross that line.

The pictures uploaded are for entertainment only and not before and after shots as there have been no after shots.

Will be uploading a picture of some (really professional) plumbing work later, this is a before and before shot. What the owner does about it is up to him. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back