Tiling

• Thread starter Johnmelad502
  • Start date
Will be uploading a picture of some (really professional) plumbing work later, this is a before and before shot. What the owner does about it is up to him. :rolleyes:

As promised...

Looks like a radiator was removed and the pipes capped with a hammer, which would explain the wet rot! :rolleyes:

Guess what is sharing the space below these pipes?

Sponsored Links
I have stated that I am not a spark but I do consider myself competent enough to change a light fitting, a plug or replace a socket etc.
OK - so take each of those examples in turn - a light, a plug and a socket.

How would you go about each one?

nope... we want to berate you for your lack of technical knowledge and understanding of basic advanced AC theory... :)

Sponsored Links
Don't take it too personally - I think people on here just want to see if you are comeptent to do the work. ;)

Do make sure that your PI insurance covers you for this work though.

Guess what is sharing the space below these pipes?
Some nice old junction boxes...?

Keep the pics coming. :LOL:

It is just proving to me that the owner of this guest house is prepared to put peoples lives in danger by skimping and saving.....

It is just proving to me that the owner of this guest house is prepared to put peoples lives in danger by skimping and saving.....

Where is your evidence that he has put lives at risk, where has he skimped to save? Please don't suggest that replacing a plug, ceiling light or wall socket needs to be done by a qualified electrician.

In a place of work, or a place subject to licensing yes, all electrical work should be done by someone who can prove their competency i.e. for example a qualified electrician.
Can you show electrical competency?
Do you know how to carry out electrical work safely - without putting yourself or others at risk?
Can you assess that the replacement part is suitable for it's intended use?
Can you carry out an isolation using the correct procedure (including that for borrowed neutrals)?
Do you know how to test your work to ensure that it is safe, does not pose a risk to persons or animals by ensuring in the event of a fault that it will disconnect without risk of shock or fire?
By employing a tiler to do tiling work and asking him to do electrical work is suggesting to me that someone is skimping and saving.

Please don't suggest that replacing a plug, ceiling light or wall socket needs to be done by a qualified electrician.
No, they don't, but they do have to be done by someone with the knowledge and the tools to do them properly.

Let's say you replace a light, and it's a Class I item.

Are you going to check the cpc continuity? What if there isn't any, and the luminaire is faulty, or develops a fault, a metal light switch then becomes live and a holidaymaker dies?

Are you going to check for polarity? What if it's wrong and the luminaire has E27 lampholders?

If you replace a socket, are you going to check for cpc continity, ring final conductor continuity, fault loop resistance and polarity? You'd better, because you're taking responsibility for the safety of the socket.

And the plug on an appliance - are you going to do a PAT test? What if you don't and it's faulty and someone dies?

Where is your evidence that he has put lives at risk, where has he skimped to save?

Well - all those photos you've posted that show he has previously employed tradesmen of the dangerously-incompetent-cowboy variety! And the fact that, no disrespect to your abilities, he's asking his tiler to sort out the mess.

It might be a good laugh, but that electrical installation could easily kill somebody. One of your photos shows it nearly has. This guy needs to wake up. You don't have the qualifications/insurance etc to take responsibility for what you're being asked to do.

This is a guest house that has just been purchased

so that counts out the "used bogit and scarper ltd before.." reasoning Liam..

The wiring (photos uploaded) in the kitchen will be sorted next week by a spark hired by the property owner

... and that counts out the "asked the tiler to fix it" reason..

Well - all those photos you've posted that show he has previously employed tradesmen of the dangerously-incompetent-cowboy variety!
How do you know he hasn't recently bought the property and all this has come to light during renovation?

Are you going to check for polarity? What if it's wrong and the luminaire has E27 lampholders?

BAS: What's the problem with polarity on E27 lampholders?

Are you confusing the plastic bodied E27 with the old fashioned ES lampholder where the centre contact had to be the live?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back