Timber for fascia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What’s the best timber to use for fascia? I’m leaning towards planed redwood 9x1.

Would have thought treated would be better but noone seems to do treated that except in 2x3 etc

Sponsored Links
9x1 is not a common size. Anyway, so long as you do not go to one of the big chains but a smaller Woodyard you should be able to get the timber pressure treated by the Woodyard once you have selected such. Takes about a week at the W/yard I go to.

I thought the groove was just a Routed run for the soffit? Didn’t realise the whole board had grooves in it?
Why is PVC smooth then?

Sponsored Links
Forget about grooves, and determine if you actually want timber or Pvc for fascias.
Determine the total length and width - 3/4" ply can be ripped to width and its far cheaper than 1"x.
As above, why 9"?
Is a soffit being installed?
Why do you want or need new fascias?

It’s for my garage front. The joists are 8” I’m using 18mm OSB on top and soffit will be under so 225mm (9inch) seemed to be the right choice.

Prefer wood over PVC. I guess I could rip a sheet of ply down. I need approx 5.5m. Although with ply at £50 a sheet and 9x1 planed at £10 a metre not much in it.

Photo attached

Attachments

• AABFDC08-5173-4E1B-AA96-29ECDBBB9914.jpeg
    AABFDC08-5173-4E1B-AA96-29ECDBBB9914.jpeg
    538.7 KB · Views: 37
remember 9x1 will be almost exactly 8.5" at around 216mm x21mm as 9x1 is the preworked stock size

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back