Timber Lodge Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. im a noob to the forum and to the world of DIY. ive been getting loads of advice over the past few months as to how I succed on a timber lodge project.

OK, basically we have finally had the timber lodge installed. See pics. Shamefully I didnt do this myself and had some install it for me.

Now that its up I want to timber clad, preferably TGV the inner walls. On the last pics you will see the partition wall is already TGV'd. Can anyone tell me if this is a certain profile as im struggling to find something that matches the face size. Ive measured it and its 112mm.

I am also due to insulate the walls with loft insulation. Will I need to put a polythene membrance on before the insualtion? Ive read that the timber needs to breath so this may cause sweating. Can someone offer further advice.

Cheers and keep an eye on the post for more pics of my noobie progress with the cladding

Some pics of the progress....Inital work digging, concrete base etc done by me and a mate, timber lodge left ot the experts!

The beginning when we moved in. Garden was a mess
DSC_0014.jpg

Old garage taken down, flogged on Ebay!!
DSC01821.jpg

Removed all the hedges from where the garage was
DSC01825.jpg

Mini digger & dumper hired
DSC00089.jpg

11 tons of soil dug out!
DSC00094.jpg

Shuttering made up
DSC00097.jpg

Shuttering - note the use of existing concrete base which caused us leveling headaches
DSC00098.jpg

Concrete poured and leveled off
DSC00101.jpg

Fence erected when the old garage was
DSC01930.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Sponsored Links
nice job is that 5x3/4" txg that i see ;) ;)

just remember you need planning if you plan to sleep in there

nice job is that 5x3/4" txg that i see ;) ;)

just remember you need planning if you plan to sleep in there

cheers, its still giving me some headaches. i think youre right becasue I look on the companys website & its says they use 15mm boarding which is 3/4"?

not planning to sleep in there unless I fall asleep while watching the TV!!

on another note, ive stupidly not had a membrane between the external clad and the frame. is there anything I can now do? i was going to give the outside a going over with waterseal then come next summer put sikkens over the top.

im just a bit worried now that ive messed up without the membrane.

why cant you insulate then tack a membrane over the internal side before cladding? same as timber frames.

Sponsored Links
cheers 1john.

im planning to use loft insualation between the external cladding & internal tgv. placing a layer before the TGV - would this not make the loft insualtion sweat and become more prone to moisture?

the out cabin has 38mm logboard which i am going to treat with waterseal. i hoping that the water will at least 'run off'

i suppose the outside would breath and sort it's self out although do you really need the membrane? My carpenter friends extension is built from 4x2 with sterling board on the outside wrapped in breathable membrane with fiberglass insulation and finished in plasterboard, no polythene membrane used atall.

unsure if i need the membrane thats why im asking!! basicaly from outside in this is how its going to be:

external 38 logboard clad watersealed
insulation
internal cladding

from reading this is how i thought it should be

external 38 logboard clad watersealed
breathable membrane
insulation
internal cladding

as the frame is now up i was just gettin a bit nervouse that i should of had a mebrane in place.

Do you need planning for build like this? Even without sleeping in it, thats a hefty foundation

I think there might be a bit of confusion over a vapour barrier and waterproof membrane.
You want a waterproof membrane within your outerskin be it brick, timber, concrete, etc to keep moisture from coming in. After the insulation you should have a vapour barrier to stop warm moist air inside reaching the insulation and condensating into moisture when it hits the cold in there. The more ventilation into this area between the insultion and waterproof membrane the better and if its breathable even better.
You could try going without a vapour barrier but why? its just a sheet of taped polythene not much expense and can only be beneficial.

Another point how do you do your dpm the timber is sitting on?

Its looking good all the same , hope to start one myself in the spring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back