Time/cost to replace consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We'd like to have our aging consumer unit replaced, and moved about 15" lower and to the left of its original location. The cables coming out the bottom of it (that go into the meter) are long enough for the new location.

Im assuming we'd need a full metal cased one now?

Question, how long should it take to get moved, just trying to work out how long we'd be without power and a rough cost
Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
What about all the other cables?

You will likely need another box in the present location to extend them all.

Is it really worth moving?

Yes, you will have a metal one.

Can't tell the rest without being there.

The other cables (coming down inside a false wall from upstairs) will need extending. We want to move it as it currently sits higher than our hallway window, and is boxed in to a cupboard so the top of the cupboard (the shelf? not sure what its called) is actually obscuring the window sill inside and a bit of the window, it just looks wrong. Moving it to new location will allow a new, much smaller cupboard to be built around it, less than half the size of current one.

I can try and upload some pictures tomorrow of current set up if it'll help

Sponsored Links
Thanks again EFL, will get a picture or 2 up tomorrow. Would the extending of the cables from upstairs each need to be in their own junction box?

Question, how long should it take to get moved, just trying to work out how long we'd be without power and a rough cost
As a rough guess, most of a day and many £100s.
Moving it so that cables require extending will significantly increase the cost and time involved.

The other cables (coming down inside a false wall from upstairs) will need extending.
If you are moving the CU sideways as well as down, you may find that those cables are no longer in a safe zone, in which case they'll need to be put inside earthed steel conduit.....

Cost is not everything. I had intended to renew my dads consumer unit for years, but while having the outside loo and pantry made into a wet room the electrician offered to swap whole consumer unit for £100 extra, saved him fitting a henley block and mini consumer unit for wet room. At that price I jumped at it, without considering the skill of the guy doing the job.

When I arrived at the house the poor guy was pulling out his hair, he had no meters that I could see and there was an earth leakage fault he could not find, he swapped one RCD for an isolator and promised to return next day, he was never seen again, and the builders who had employed him seemed to be trying to do remaining electrics themselves, I suspect now the builders had cash flow problems so to be fair the electrician may not have returned because he found he was not being paid.

For me the electrics was the least of my problems, that I could sort, but had the same happened to a family where nearly every male was not an electrician of some type, it would have been very different. Don't go by cost, go by recommendation, find an electrician you can trust. I did not learn, for a second time I was temped by cheap electricians when I wanted the job done fasted than I could do on my own, needed to be done before my mother came home.

Let the electrician doing the work advise, what seems a major job may be simple and the reverse. The big one is deciding if two RCD's is good enough, all RCBO's is more expensive but less likely to cause problems latter, but there is also the mixture. On this it is up to you, but some one on site can advice far better than some one on the internet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back