Time lag/delay switch that replaces just one switch in 1 in 7 switches

You'd need a box to put it in. Electrically it needs to be between the final 2 way switch and the light, the card is only matchbox size so it'll fit in a standard UK 25mm deep backbox (go deeper if it's sharing that box with the lightswitch).
Yes if the light circuit is left on so the relay times out you'd have to operate any one of the existing switches twice to get the light back on.

Thanks, that's what I figured. It's a shame something doesn't exist that physically turns off a switch in series with a switch integrated... The two time press is not ideal

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's what I figured. It's a shame something doesn't exist that physically turns off a switch in series with a switch integrated... The two time press is not ideal
simple... replace all of the existing switches with 1way retractive switches. press any and it starts the timer...

simple... replace all of the existing switches with 1way retractive switches. press any and it starts the timer...
That card doesn't work like that (annoyingly). There's no signal line- when L goes live it starts the clock and changes relay state (so NO links to COM), after x minutes or when L is interrupted the relay drops back to NC. So momentary switches don't work, if you had the timed push switches you'd have a bigger problem - if the card timed out before the timed push switch timed out you'd have no way of lighting the area until the timed push had timed out.

EDIT You can do it with momentary switches, just realised it's the way I made the card work for my scheme (permanent L to COM. NO links to L and to load. Switch goes to L. Switch pushed, relay changes, maintains L from momentary switch. After x minutes, relay drops back to NC.

But that's going to cost op £x for 7 PTM switches ....

Last edited:
i have 3 pir bulbs cheap ebay ones in my house they use around 0.5w when off and around 5-8w when on i only use them in a room where it 95% passing use they are perhaps 95% accurate in operation
i never rely on only that light for illuminating a room the but a bleed off light from adjacent rooms to give a minimum level of light
they tend to work for about 40 seconds after detection, then turn off but stay on longer when in range
i tend to have a perhaps 3w general background light in a say kitchen with a bright 8w kicking in and lasting perhaps 3-5 mins on average depending on activity
this off course can be boosted by a a light switched on and give an actual level off light without turning off

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back