Timer woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just bought a house that was previously rented and I'm in the process of moving in.

The boiler is quite old (has a pilot light) and will be replaced eventually but not straight away.

I've managed to get everything working, but the timer (lp722) has been set up in such a way that you can turn the HW on and leave the CH off, but if you turn the CH on, the HW also turns on - both LEDs light up. A quick at the timer wiring and only 3 & 4 are connected.

Any ideas what is going on here and why it would have been done like this? The house is early 80's and the boiler is from about 2000.

Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't get CH and HW fully independent? It's a standard vented, pumped system with a motorised valve.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have a motorised valve, HW zone should not come on when CH demanded
Just because a boiler has a pilot light, does not mean it needs ripping out. This one will still possibly be working long after a fancy new HE boiler is in the grave(y)(y)(y)

Controls upgrade will give you what you need

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for the replies. Apologies for not providing enough information, what else would be helpful? I assumed it can't be gravity because there's a pump in the way, before the valve.

I appreciate what you're saying about the boiler and I tend to agree about the longevity, less to break etc but i was thinking about efficiency convenience.

There's nothing wrong with the timer, it's just the way it's been wired.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back