Tingle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So there I was in the loft, cutting the cable that runs from the CU to supply the upstairs lights, as it needs to be rerouted, and a temporary (yes I know all about those) "cut'n'shut" with choc-blocks was in order.

Verified 100% that the circuit was dead, opened up the sheath so that I could cut the cores one at a time, and avoid tripping the RCD. Me no stupid. :eek:

"That's odd", I thought, as my hand brushed the cut end of the live conductor, "could have sworn I felt something there. Ah yes, that'll be the borrowed neutral, won't it."

So I cut through the neutral, and the landing light went out... :oops:

Fortunately I did have the sense to realise that the downstream end of the cable was now very much live, and called down to my helper to turn off the downstairs lights as well for a few minutes.

So next time someone asks you why you shouldn't have B-Ns, tell 'em it's not some academic restriction - refer them here....

Sponsored Links
it's spooky when you read a post the same day you decide to re-wire the shed.

Here's mine...

SWA from house to shed, into junction box for shed power & off to the garage for light & power.

Outside the shed there's a security light switched from the garage & the house, I always assumed ( :oops: ) that the light was powered from the shed power. It wasn't until this afternoon I found out the light was powered from the garage light circuit (live linked on the back of the light switch) & the neutral was going back to main the CU via the SWA for the power circuit.

Now I have to get my head around the 2 way switch thing!

Russ

sorry chaps, some of us, meaning me, don't know what this SWA is in electrical terms - obviously when you tell me I will then say "oh yeah!"

Sponsored Links
Steel Wire Armoured

SW10SLASH2.jpg

you see the "silver bits" 2nd from left, well that is the steel wire armouring, need i say more (yes its old colours)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back