TINY HOLE IN FELT CAUSING LEAK..REPAIR POSSIBLE FROM INSIDE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had a look outside of the extension (20+ yrs old) & can see dodgy looking gulley thats siliconed but lower down (so not the problem)
located the leak from inside (crawlspace is like the great escape tunnel)
..to improve matters I'm insulating the loftfloor & covering with loft board to get near to the space mor easily than a 1/2 hr crawl.

When I get to the small hole in the felt is it possible to do an effective repair from the inside? if so what should I use.
My neighbour (NOT A ROOFER) suggested a small squirt of silicone???
is this realistic or should I attempt a patch of any shape or form? if so what do you recommend please.
NB I do have some flat roof repair kits with rubber / felt bonding compound etc & glass fibre to be incorporated etc.. BUt I figure this is for outside (and besides how do I guage where the actual hole is under the big old slates without doing more damage than good)?
so is an interior "silicone smear" repair going to cut the mustard, the drip is now showing on the underside of our bedroom ceiling , my lack of knowledge is currently my downfall
it's a nail-point size hole! about 3-5mm in my estimation.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Felt really isn't supposed to get wet at all.

It's there as a protective layer from the snow and ice.

Snow or ice sitting on a roof can seep up the tiles, in the same way as hold to bits of glass together and dunking them in water.

Treat the cause, which could be a broken tile further up the roof

Hiya Lucretius,
I'm not a roofer but have worked on a lot of roofs. Silicone would be a stopgap but it won't go off in anything other than very dry conditions. You'd be better off having a look at the slates for any breaks and cracks first. Unfortunately, slates are more difficult to approach if you have no experience. They can break easily and you'd probably need a 'slate ripper' to remove and replace any breaks.
Try silicone by all means (cheap) but if you're looking at internal, ceiling damage I'd suggest calling someone in. A hole that size and maybe a couple of cracked slates would be in the VERY low 3 figures at this point. On the other hand, cut corners and you'll need to add in repairs for your ceiling and STILL have to call in a roofer or builder.
Ask around at work or ask mates if they can recommend anyone. Picking a number out of the phone book or yellow pages is asking for more trouble.

thanks for replies to date!

..there's no slate damage, had an outside inspection, & worked out that it is the rare (but frequent of late) winds blowing in a strange direction & driving rain under the slate through this nail hole, will try some outdoor flat roofing leak treatment (with scrim) & try & tackle it from outside as weather improves.

as we live right next to fields when the wind blows , it blows HARD! no other houses to absorb & reduce the driving force of it all!
(as we speak it's been blowing hard for a week)

Sponsored Links
Slip a piece of felt down from the lap above the hole... Then get roof fixed

I'm being dumb here but would you care to elaborate as to slipping the patch inside or out etc?

..also what sort of felt, just general as it's only a patch job? or like for like.

thanks again

Silicone is not compatible with bitumas roofing felts.Will not stick.A short term repair could be acheived with blackjack,trowling grade.I must stress "short term".Any repair that would last needs to be done from the top side really. ;)

simply slip a patch down between the felt laps from inside loft the space
That will not last,it will move eventually.The only way to repair and it be 100% effective and for it to last is from the top side.Anything else is tempory aka botch job.

If its done properly it will stay there. Apart from the fact you wont get it trapped under the battens there is not to much different from doing it from outside.
The guy asked for a simple solution which he was given. He was also told correctly that the felt should not be getting wet and to get the roof problem sorted.
Also it's an old post anyway.....very sad.

simply slip a patch down between the felt laps from inside loft the space
That will not last,it will move eventually.The only way to repair and it be 100% effective and for it to last is from the top side.Anything else is tempory aka botch job.

If its done properly it will stay there. Apart from the fact you wont get it trapped under the battens there is not to much different from doing it from outside.
The guy asked for a simple solution which he was given. He was also told correctly that the felt should not be getting wet and to get the roof problem sorted.
Also it's an old post anyway.....very sad.
Yawnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Hi

Try some 'duck tape' from the inside - usually sticks like s..t to the proverbial blanket.

Regards

'Yawnnnnnnnnnnnn. '

Or maybe some black jack!! or some acrypol!!?

must not botch it ehh........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back